newbit problem??

I could use a bit of guidance as a newbie too.  I have a  sun solaris setup.
I got a 0503 snapshot of libgcj and a 0502 of egcs.   The build of egcs
is
without incident.  The libcgj  got all the way through until the ld of
jv-convert
and it could not find socket, listen, gethostbyname etc.   Using the force,
I then added -lsnl -lsocket to the LIBS in makefiles until it linked up..

Then install went OK.

I started a simple Hello World program and got a unresolved main...
I found a discussion about --main=  and tried that  - seemed to solve that
main
mesage. Then I tried a hello world  and had to add a LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
get the
libraries on line.

So, one more try.  The program compiles but core dumps when run.  No CLASSPATH
is
defined.

What am I missing?   What's the prognosis for AWT, inner classes, etc....

Thanks in advance
Phil