first active use of a class

A couple of weeks ago, we had Guy Steele visiting the University of Utah.
We had the chance to discuss some Java issues with him.

One issue was the issue of "first active use" of a class.
I pointed out that WAT compilers such as gcj are being penalized because
they have to insert code that checks for each possible first use of
a class whether its <clinit> initializer needs to be invoked.

He said that his interpretation of the JLS gives such compiler writers
the freedom to preinitialize all classes before you even invoke the
main method; essentially saving that test.

	- Godmar