Re: First public libgcj release

> Is this more because of the design of Java or of gcc?

Yes.

Gcc does assume it can do pointer arithmetic.  In Java bytecodes,
you can't, at least not in the same way.

We have thought about make a true back-end for the "Java instruction
set".  My feeling is that this might make sense for a Java chip,
where the native instruction set is the Java opcodes (possibly
extended), but probably not for other machines.  For one thing,
there are practical complications in building and installing
two backends (native and jvm) for a single architecture.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner