Casting of lang_identifier.

Hi,
	 I am having a problem understanding the concept of struct
lang_identifier. At times an struct tree_identifier pointer is cast as
struct lang_identifier pointer and a dereferencing is done. Please note
that the size of the struct tree-identifier is 20 bytes while that of the
struct lang_identifier is 32 bytes. The definitions of struct
lang_identifier actually includes a node of struct tree_identifier.
However in all the dereferencing of a struct tree_identifier by this
casting calls on variables global_value or local_value, which are out
of the 20 bytes. And while an identifier node is created, this space is
not allocated.
How is the code not tramping on unallocated spaces. If anyone could
explain this to me, it would be extremely helpful.

Regards,
Manosiz.

Manosiz Bhattacharyya.			e:mail : mano@cse.ucsc.edu
626 Koshland Way,			School of Engineering,
Santa Cruz,				University of California,
CA-95064,USA.				Santa Cruz.
Phone: (res) (831)-420-1368		(off) (831)-459-5625