A possibly-useful resource

Hello all,

I downloaded the gcj source and had a look at it.  It seems to be in
a quite advanced state, so what I'm about to mention might not be of
much use.  I'll mention it anyway, though, since you probably should at
least be aware of it...

Over the last few months, I've been writing a prototype of a Java
compiler.  At the moment, BOCK (the prototype) is capable of parsing most
of the Java language, and generating C for it, which is then compiled
with GCC.  I've been writing some Java programs as part of my PhD work,
and they build with BOCK.  It won't understand the whole language;
it's only a prototype.

Now that BOCK has got about as far as I'm willing to take it, I'm starting
on the real version, Jackal.  However, the reason I'm writing is to let
you know that it's available:

 ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/slink/main/source/devel/bock_0.12.tar.gz

There might be bits of code (unlikely) or ideas (possibly) in there
which might be useful.  (I don't actually think it's too likely, given
how far gcj has got already, but, well, you never know.)  BOCK is GPLed,
and you're welcome to use any bits of it you find useful.  Please let
me know if you do.

Cheers,

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith