java/8457: Internal compiler error in generate_bytecode_insns, at java/jcf-write.c:1850

>Number:         8457
>Category:       java
>Synopsis:       Internal compiler error in generate_bytecode_insns, at java/jcf-write.c:1850
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Nov 05 01:26:01 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Martin Aliger martin_aliger@email.cz
>Release:        gcc 3.2
[alik@explorer poic]$ ./poibuild
/tmp/ccyMAAQPjx: In class `org.apache.poi.util.BinaryTree$11':
/tmp/ccyMAAQPjx: In method `access$0(org.apache.poi.util.BinaryTree$11)':
/tmp/ccyMAAQPjx:0: Internal compiler error in generate_bytecode_insns, at java/jcf-write.c:1850
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.

>How-To-Repeat:
gcj -C BinaryTree.java (attached)
>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
----gnatsweb-attachment----

/* ====================================================================
 * The Apache Software License, Version 1.1
 *
 * Copyright (c) 2002 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *
 *
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
 *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
 *    distribution.
 *
 * 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution,
 *    if any, must include the following acknowledgment:
 *       "This product includes software developed by the
 *        Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
 *    Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself,
 *    if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.
 *
 * 4. The names "Apache" and "Apache Software Foundation" and
 *    "Apache POI" must not be used to endorse or promote products
 *    derived from this software without prior written permission. For
 *    written permission, please contact apache@apache.org.
 *
 * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache",
 *    "Apache POI", nor may "Apache" appear in their name, without
 *    prior written permission of the Apache Software Foundation.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
 * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
 * DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE APACHE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION OR
 * ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
 * SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
 * LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
 * USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
 * ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
 * OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT
 * OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.
 * ====================================================================
 *
 * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
 * individuals on behalf of the Apache Software Foundation.  For more
 * information on the Apache Software Foundation, please see
 * <http://www.apache.org/>.
 */

package org.apache.poi.util;

import java.util.*;

/**
 * Red-Black tree-based implementation of Map. This class guarantees
 * that the map will be in both ascending key order and ascending
 * value order, sorted according to the natural order for the key's
 * and value's classes.<p>
 *
 * This Map is intended for applications that need to be able to look
 * up a key-value pairing by either key or value, and need to do so
 * with equal efficiency.<p>
 *
 * While that goal could be accomplished by taking a pair of TreeMaps
 * and redirecting requests to the appropriate TreeMap (e.g.,
 * containsKey would be directed to the TreeMap that maps values to
 * keys, containsValue would be directed to the TreeMap that maps keys
 * to values), there are problems with that implementation,
 * particularly when trying to keep the two TreeMaps synchronized with
 * each other. And if the data contained in the TreeMaps is large, the
 * cost of redundant storage becomes significant.<p>
 *
 * This solution keeps the data properly synchronized and minimizes
 * the data storage. The red-black algorithm is based on TreeMap's,
 * but has been modified to simultaneously map a tree node by key and
 * by value. This doubles the cost of put operations (but so does
 * using two TreeMaps), and nearly doubles the cost of remove
 * operations (there is a savings in that the lookup of the node to be
 * removed only has to be performed once). And since only one node
 * contains the key and value, storage is significantly less than that
 * required by two TreeMaps.<p>
 *
 * There are some limitations placed on data kept in this Map. The
 * biggest one is this:<p>
 *
 * When performing a put operation, neither the key nor the value may
 * already exist in the Map. In the java.util Map implementations
 * (HashMap, TreeMap), you can perform a put with an already mapped
 * key, and neither cares about duplicate values at all ... but this
 * implementation's put method with throw an IllegalArgumentException
 * if either the key or the value is already in the Map.<p>
 *
 * Obviously, that same restriction (and consequence of failing to
 * heed that restriction) applies to the putAll method.<p>
 *
 * The Map.Entry instances returned by the appropriate methods will
 * not allow setValue() and will throw an
 * UnsupportedOperationException on attempts to call that method.<p>
 *
 * New methods are added to take advantage of the fact that values are
 * kept sorted independently of their keys:<p>
 *
 * Object getKeyForValue(Object value) is the opposite of get; it
 * takes a value and returns its key, if any.<p>
 *
 * Object removeValue(Object value) finds and removes the specified
 * value and returns the now un-used key.<p>
 *
 * Set entrySetByValue() returns the Map.Entry's in a Set whose
 * iterator will iterate over the Map.Entry's in ascending order by
 * their corresponding values.<p>
 *
 * Set keySetByValue() returns the keys in a Set whose iterator will
 * iterate over the keys in ascending order by their corresponding
 * values.<p>
 *
 * Collection valuesByValue() returns the values in a Collection whose
 * iterator will iterate over the values in ascending order.<p>
 *
 * @author Marc Johnson (mjohnson at apache dot org)
 */
public final class BinaryTree   // final for performance

    extends AbstractMap
{
    private Node[]                _root             = new Node[]
    {
        null, null
    };
    private int                   _size             = 0;
    private int                   _modifications    = 0;
    private Set[]                 _key_set          = new Set[]
    {
        null, null
    };
    private Set[]                 _entry_set        = new Set[]
    {
        null, null
    };
    private Collection[]          _value_collection = new Collection[]
    {
        null, null
    };
    private static final int      _KEY              = 0;
    private static final int      _VALUE            = 1;
    private static final int      _INDEX_SUM        = _KEY + _VALUE;
    private static final int      _MINIMUM_INDEX    = 0;
    private static final int      _INDEX_COUNT      = 2;
    private static final String[] _data_name        = new String[]
    {
        "key", "value"
    };

    /**
     * Construct a new BinaryTree
     */

    public BinaryTree()
    {
    }

    /**
     * Constructs a new BinaryTree from an existing Map, with keys and
     * values sorted
     *
     * @param map the map whose mappings are to be placed in this map.
     *
     * @exception ClassCastException if the keys in the map are not
     *                               Comparable, or are not mutually
     *                               comparable; also if the values in
     *                               the map are not Comparable, or
     *                               are not mutually Comparable
     * @exception NullPointerException if any key or value in the map
     *                                 is null
     * @exception IllegalArgumentException if there are duplicate keys
     *                                     or duplicate values in the
     *                                     map
     */

    public BinaryTree(final Map map)
        throws ClassCastException, NullPointerException,
                IllegalArgumentException
    {
        putAll(map);
    }

    /**
     * Returns the key to which this map maps the specified value.
     * Returns null if the map contains no mapping for this value.
     *
     * @param value value whose associated key is to be returned.
     *
     * @return the key to which this map maps the specified value, or
     *         null if the map contains no mapping for this value.
     *
     * @exception ClassCastException if the value is of an
     *                               inappropriate type for this map.
     * @exception NullPointerException if the value is null
     */

    public Object getKeyForValue(final Object value)
        throws ClassCastException, NullPointerException
    {
        return doGet(( Comparable ) value, _VALUE);
    }

    /**
     * Removes the mapping for this value from this map if present
     *
     * @param value value whose mapping is to be removed from the map.
     *
     * @return previous key associated with specified value, or null
     *         if there was no mapping for value.
     */

    public Object removeValue(final Object value)
    {
        return doRemove(( Comparable ) value, _VALUE);
    }

    /**
     * Returns a set view of the mappings contained in this map. Each
     * element in the returned set is a Map.Entry. The set is backed
     * by the map, so changes to the map are reflected in the set, and
     * vice-versa.  If the map is modified while an iteration over the
     * set is in progress, the results of the iteration are
     * undefined. The set supports element removal, which removes the
     * corresponding mapping from the map, via the Iterator.remove,
     * Set.remove, removeAll, retainAll and clear operations.  It does
     * not support the add or addAll operations.<p>
     *
     * The difference between this method and entrySet is that
     * entrySet's iterator() method returns an iterator that iterates
     * over the mappings in ascending order by key. This method's
     * iterator method iterates over the mappings in ascending order
     * by value.
     *
     * @return a set view of the mappings contained in this map.
     */

    public Set entrySetByValue()
    {
        if (_entry_set[ _VALUE ] == null)
        {
            _entry_set[ _VALUE ] = new AbstractSet()
            {
                public Iterator iterator()
                {
                    return new BinaryTreeIterator(_VALUE)
                    {
                        protected Object doGetNext()
                        {
                            return _last_returned_node;
                        }
                    };
                }

                public boolean contains(Object o)
                {
                    if (!(o instanceof Map.Entry))
                    {
                        return false;
                    }
                    Map.Entry entry = ( Map.Entry ) o;
                    Object    key   = entry.getKey();
                    Node      node  = lookup(( Comparable ) entry.getValue(),
                                             _VALUE);

                    return (node != null) && node.getData(_KEY).equals(key);
                }

                public boolean remove(Object o)
                {
                    if (!(o instanceof Map.Entry))
                    {
                        return false;
                    }
                    Map.Entry entry = ( Map.Entry ) o;
                    Object    key   = entry.getKey();
                    Node      node  = lookup(( Comparable ) entry.getValue(),
                                             _VALUE);

                    if ((node != null) && node.getData(_KEY).equals(key))
                    {
                        doRedBlackDelete(node);
                        return true;
                    }
                    return false;
                }

                public int size()
                {
                    return BinaryTree.this.size();
                }

                public void clear()
                {
                    BinaryTree.this.clear();
                }
            };
        }
        return _entry_set[ _VALUE ];
    }

    /**
     * Returns a set view of the keys contained in this map.  The set
     * is backed by the map, so changes to the map are reflected in
     * the set, and vice-versa. If the map is modified while an
     * iteration over the set is in progress, the results of the
     * iteration are undefined. The set supports element removal,
     * which removes the corresponding mapping from the map, via the
     * Iterator.remove, Set.remove, removeAll, retainAll, and clear
     * operations. It does not support the add or addAll
     * operations.<p>
     *
     * The difference between this method and keySet is that keySet's
     * iterator() method returns an iterator that iterates over the
     * keys in ascending order by key. This method's iterator method
     * iterates over the keys in ascending order by value.
     *
     * @return a set view of the keys contained in this map.
     */

    public Set keySetByValue()
    {
        if (_key_set[ _VALUE ] == null)
        {
            _key_set[ _VALUE ] = new AbstractSet()
            {
                public Iterator iterator()
                {
                    return new BinaryTreeIterator(_VALUE)
                    {
                        protected Object doGetNext()
                        {
                            return _last_returned_node.getData(_KEY);
                        }
                    };
                }

                public int size()
                {
                    return BinaryTree.this.size();
                }

                public boolean contains(Object o)
                {
                    return containsKey(o);
                }

                public boolean remove(Object o)
                {
                    int old_size = _size;

                    BinaryTree.this.remove(o);
                    return _size != old_size;
                }

                public void clear()
                {
                    BinaryTree.this.clear();
                }
            };
        }
        return _key_set[ _VALUE ];
    }

    /**
     * Returns a collection view of the values contained in this
     * map. The collection is backed by the map, so changes to the map
     * are reflected in the collection, and vice-versa. If the map is
     * modified while an iteration over the collection is in progress,
     * the results of the iteration are undefined. The collection
     * supports element removal, which removes the corresponding
     * mapping from the map, via the Iterator.remove,
     * Collection.remove, removeAll, retainAll and clear operations.
     * It does not support the add or addAll operations.<p>
     *
     * The difference between this method and values is that values's
     * iterator() method returns an iterator that iterates over the
     * values in ascending order by key. This method's iterator method
     * iterates over the values in ascending order by key.
     *
     * @return a collection view of the values contained in this map.
     */

    public Collection valuesByValue()
    {
        if (_value_collection[ _VALUE ] == null)
        {
            _value_collection[ _VALUE ] = new AbstractCollection()
            {
                public Iterator iterator()
                {
                    return new BinaryTreeIterator(_VALUE)
                    {
                        protected Object doGetNext()
                        {
                            return _last_returned_node.getData(_VALUE);
                        }
                    };
                }

                public int size()
                {
                    return BinaryTree.this.size();
                }

                public boolean contains(Object o)
                {
                    return containsValue(o);
                }

                public boolean remove(Object o)
                {
                    int old_size = _size;

                    removeValue(o);
                    return _size != old_size;
                }

                public boolean removeAll(Collection c)
                {
                    boolean  modified = false;
                    Iterator iter     = c.iterator();

                    while (iter.hasNext())
                    {
                        if (removeValue(iter.next()) != null)
                        {
                            modified = true;
                        }
                    }
                    return modified;
                }

                public void clear()
                {
                    BinaryTree.this.clear();
                }
            };
        }
        return _value_collection[ _VALUE ];
    }

    /**
     * common remove logic (remove by key or remove by value)
     *
     * @param o the key, or value, that we're looking for
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     *
     * @return the key, if remove by value, or the value, if remove by
     *         key. null if the specified key or value could not be
     *         found
     */

    private Object doRemove(final Comparable o, final int index)
    {
        Node   node = lookup(o, index);
        Object rval = null;

        if (node != null)
        {
            rval = node.getData(oppositeIndex(index));
            doRedBlackDelete(node);
        }
        return rval;
    }

    /**
     * common get logic, used to get by key or get by value
     *
     * @param o the key or value that we're looking for
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     *
     * @return the key (if the value was mapped) or the value (if the
     *         key was mapped); null if we couldn't find the specified
     *         object
     */

    private Object doGet(final Comparable o, final int index)
    {
        checkNonNullComparable(o, index);
        Node node = lookup(o, index);

        return ((node == null) ? null
                               : node.getData(oppositeIndex(index)));
    }

    /**
     * Get the opposite index of the specified index
     *
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     *
     * @return _VALUE (if _KEY was specified), else _KEY
     */

    private int oppositeIndex(final int index)
    {

        // old trick ... to find the opposite of a value, m or n,
        // subtract the value from the sum of the two possible
        // values. (m + n) - m = n; (m + n) - n = m
        return _INDEX_SUM - index;
    }

    /**
     * do the actual lookup of a piece of data
     *
     * @param data the key or value to be looked up
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     *
     * @return the desired Node, or null if there is no mapping of the
     *         specified data
     */

    private Node lookup(final Comparable data, final int index)
    {
        Node rval = null;
        Node node = _root[ index ];

        while (node != null)
        {
            int cmp = compare(data, node.getData(index));

            if (cmp == 0)
            {
                rval = node;
                break;
            }
            else
            {
                node = (cmp < 0) ? node.getLeft(index)
                                 : node.getRight(index);
            }
        }
        return rval;
    }

    /**
     * Compare two objects
     *
     * @param o1 the first object
     * @param o2 the second object
     *
     * @return negative value if o1 < o2; 0 if o1 == o2; positive
     *         value if o1 > o2
     */

    private static int compare(final Comparable o1, final Comparable o2)
    {
        return (( Comparable ) o1).compareTo(o2);
    }

    /**
     * find the least node from a given node. very useful for starting
     * a sorting iterator ...
     *
     * @param node the node from which we will start searching
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     *
     * @return the smallest node, from the specified node, in the
     *         specified mapping
     */

    private static Node leastNode(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        Node rval = node;

        if (rval != null)
        {
            while (rval.getLeft(index) != null)
            {
                rval = rval.getLeft(index);
            }
        }
        return rval;
    }

    /**
     * get the next larger node from the specified node
     *
     * @param node the node to be searched from
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     *
     * @return the specified node
     */

    private Node nextGreater(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        Node rval = null;

        if (node == null)
        {
            rval = null;
        }
        else if (node.getRight(index) != null)
        {

            // everything to the node's right is larger. The least of
            // the right node's descendents is the next larger node
            rval = leastNode(node.getRight(index), index);
        }
        else
        {

            // traverse up our ancestry until we find an ancestor that
            // is null or one whose left child is our ancestor. If we
            // find a null, then this node IS the largest node in the
            // tree, and there is no greater node. Otherwise, we are
            // the largest node in the subtree on that ancestor's left
            // ... and that ancestor is the next greatest node
            Node parent = node.getParent(index);
            Node child  = node;

            while ((parent != null) && (child == parent.getRight(index)))
            {
                child  = parent;
                parent = parent.getParent(index);
            }
            rval = parent;
        }
        return rval;
    }

    /**
     * copy the color from one node to another, dealing with the fact
     * that one or both nodes may, in fact, be null
     *
     * @param from the node whose color we're copying; may be null
     * @param to the node whose color we're changing; may be null
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private static void copyColor(final Node from, final Node to,
                                  final int index)
    {
        if (to != null)
        {
            if (from == null)
            {

                // by default, make it black
                to.setBlack(index);
            }
            else
            {
                to.copyColor(from, index);
            }
        }
    }

    /**
     * is the specified node red? if the node does not exist, no, it's
     * black, thank you
     *
     * @param node the node (may be null) in question
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private static boolean isRed(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        return ((node == null) ? false
                               : node.isRed(index));
    }

    /**
     * is the specified black red? if the node does not exist, sure,
     * it's black, thank you
     *
     * @param node the node (may be null) in question
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private static boolean isBlack(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        return ((node == null) ? true
                               : node.isBlack(index));
    }

    /**
     * force a node (if it exists) red
     *
     * @param node the node (may be null) in question
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private static void makeRed(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        if (node != null)
        {
            node.setRed(index);
        }
    }

    /**
     * force a node (if it exists) black
     *
     * @param node the node (may be null) in question
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private static void makeBlack(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        if (node != null)
        {
            node.setBlack(index);
        }
    }

    /**
     * get a node's grandparent. mind you, the node, its parent, or
     * its grandparent may not exist. no problem
     *
     * @param node the node (may be null) in question
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private static Node getGrandParent(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        return getParent(getParent(node, index), index);
    }

    /**
     * get a node's parent. mind you, the node, or its parent, may not
     * exist. no problem
     *
     * @param node the node (may be null) in question
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private static Node getParent(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        return ((node == null) ? null
                               : node.getParent(index));
    }

    /**
     * get a node's right child. mind you, the node may not exist. no
     * problem
     *
     * @param node the node (may be null) in question
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private static Node getRightChild(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        return (node == null) ? null
                              : node.getRight(index);
    }

    /**
     * get a node's left child. mind you, the node may not exist. no
     * problem
     *
     * @param node the node (may be null) in question
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private static Node getLeftChild(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        return (node == null) ? null
                              : node.getLeft(index);
    }

    /**
     * is this node its parent's left child? mind you, the node, or
     * its parent, may not exist. no problem. if the node doesn't
     * exist ... it's its non-existent parent's left child. If the
     * node does exist but has no parent ... no, we're not the
     * non-existent parent's left child. Otherwise (both the specified
     * node AND its parent exist), check.
     *
     * @param node the node (may be null) in question
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private static boolean isLeftChild(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        return (node == null) ? true
                              : ((node.getParent(index) == null) ? false
                                                                 : (node
                                                                    == node.getParent(
                                                                        index).getLeft(
    }

    /**
     * is this node its parent's right child? mind you, the node, or
     * its parent, may not exist. no problem. if the node doesn't
     * exist ... it's its non-existent parent's right child. If the
     * node does exist but has no parent ... no, we're not the
     * non-existent parent's right child. Otherwise (both the
     * specified node AND its parent exist), check.
     *
     * @param node the node (may be null) in question
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private static boolean isRightChild(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        return (node == null) ? true
                              : ((node.getParent(index) == null) ? false
                                                                 : (node
                                                                    == node.getParent(
                                                                        index).getRight(
    }

    /**
     * do a rotate left. standard fare in the world of balanced trees
     *
     * @param node the node to be rotated
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private void rotateLeft(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        Node right_child = node.getRight(index);

        node.setRight(right_child.getLeft(index), index);
        if (right_child.getLeft(index) != null)
        {
            right_child.getLeft(index).setParent(node, index);
        }
        right_child.setParent(node.getParent(index), index);
        if (node.getParent(index) == null)
        {

            // node was the root ... now its right child is the root
            _root[ index ] = right_child;
        }
        else if (node.getParent(index).getLeft(index) == node)
        {
            node.getParent(index).setLeft(right_child, index);
        }
        else
        {
            node.getParent(index).setRight(right_child, index);
        }
        right_child.setLeft(node, index);
        node.setParent(right_child, index);
    }

    /**
     * do a rotate right. standard fare in the world of balanced trees
     *
     * @param node the node to be rotated
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private void rotateRight(final Node node, final int index)
    {
        Node left_child = node.getLeft(index);

        node.setLeft(left_child.getRight(index), index);
        if (left_child.getRight(index) != null)
        {
            left_child.getRight(index).setParent(node, index);
        }
        left_child.setParent(node.getParent(index), index);
        if (node.getParent(index) == null)
        {

            // node was the root ... now its left child is the root
            _root[ index ] = left_child;
        }
        else if (node.getParent(index).getRight(index) == node)
        {
            node.getParent(index).setRight(left_child, index);
        }
        else
        {
            node.getParent(index).setLeft(left_child, index);
        }
        left_child.setRight(node, index);
        node.setParent(left_child, index);
    }

    /**
     * complicated red-black insert stuff. Based on Sun's TreeMap
     * implementation, though it's barely recognizeable any more
     *
     * @param inserted_node the node to be inserted
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private void doRedBlackInsert(final Node inserted_node, final int index)
    {
        Node current_node = inserted_node;

        makeRed(current_node, index);
        while ((current_node != null) && (current_node != _root[ index ])
                && (isRed(current_node.getParent(index), index)))
        {
            if (isLeftChild(getParent(current_node, index), index))
            {
                Node y = getRightChild(getGrandParent(current_node, index),

                if (isRed(y, index))
                {
                    makeBlack(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    makeBlack(y, index);
                    makeRed(getGrandParent(current_node, index), index);
                    current_node = getGrandParent(current_node, index);
                }
                else
                {
                    if (isRightChild(current_node, index))
                    {
                        current_node = getParent(current_node, index);
                        rotateLeft(current_node, index);
                    }
                    makeBlack(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    makeRed(getGrandParent(current_node, index), index);
                    if (getGrandParent(current_node, index) != null)
                    {
                        rotateRight(getGrandParent(current_node, index),
                    }
                }
            }
            else
            {

                // just like clause above, except swap left for right
                Node y = getLeftChild(getGrandParent(current_node, index),

                if (isRed(y, index))
                {
                    makeBlack(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    makeBlack(y, index);
                    makeRed(getGrandParent(current_node, index), index);
                    current_node = getGrandParent(current_node, index);
                }
                else
                {
                    if (isLeftChild(current_node, index))
                    {
                        current_node = getParent(current_node, index);
                        rotateRight(current_node, index);
                    }
                    makeBlack(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    makeRed(getGrandParent(current_node, index), index);
                    if (getGrandParent(current_node, index) != null)
                    {
                        rotateLeft(getGrandParent(current_node, index),
                    }
                }
            }
        }
        makeBlack(_root[ index ], index);
    }

    /**
     * complicated red-black delete stuff. Based on Sun's TreeMap
     * implementation, though it's barely recognizeable any more
     *
     * @param deleted_node the node to be deleted
     */

    private void doRedBlackDelete(final Node deleted_node)
    {
        for (int index = _MINIMUM_INDEX; index < _INDEX_COUNT; index++)
        {

            // if deleted node has both left and children, swap with
            // the next greater node
            if ((deleted_node.getLeft(index) != null)
                    && (deleted_node.getRight(index) != null))
            {
                swapPosition(nextGreater(deleted_node, index), deleted_node,
            }
            Node replacement = ((deleted_node.getLeft(index) != null)
                                ? deleted_node.getLeft(index)
                                : deleted_node.getRight(index));

            if (replacement != null)
            {
                replacement.setParent(deleted_node.getParent(index), index);
                if (deleted_node.getParent(index) == null)
                {
                    _root[ index ] = replacement;
                }
                else if (deleted_node
                         == deleted_node.getParent(index).getLeft(index))
                {
                    deleted_node.getParent(index).setLeft(replacement, index);
                }
                else
                {
                    deleted_node.getParent(index).setRight(replacement,
                }
                deleted_node.setLeft(null, index);
                deleted_node.setRight(null, index);
                deleted_node.setParent(null, index);
                if (isBlack(deleted_node, index))
                {
                    doRedBlackDeleteFixup(replacement, index);
                }
            }
            else
            {

                // replacement is null
                if (deleted_node.getParent(index) == null)
                {

                    // empty tree
                    _root[ index ] = null;
                }
                else
                {

                    // deleted node had no children
                    if (isBlack(deleted_node, index))
                    {
                        doRedBlackDeleteFixup(deleted_node, index);
                    }
                    if (deleted_node.getParent(index) != null)
                    {
                        if (deleted_node
                                == deleted_node.getParent(index)
                                    .getLeft(index))
                        {
                            deleted_node.getParent(index).setLeft(null,
                        }
                        else
                        {
                            deleted_node.getParent(index).setRight(null,
                        }
                        deleted_node.setParent(null, index);
                    }
                }
            }
        }
        shrink();
    }

    /**
     * complicated red-black delete stuff. Based on Sun's TreeMap
     * implementation, though it's barely recognizeable any more. This
     * rebalances the tree (somewhat, as red-black trees are not
     * perfectly balanced -- perfect balancing takes longer)
     *
     * @param replacement_node  the node being replaced
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private void doRedBlackDeleteFixup(final Node replacement_node,
                                       final int index)
    {
        Node current_node = replacement_node;

        while ((current_node != _root[ index ])
                && (isBlack(current_node, index)))
        {
            if (isLeftChild(current_node, index))
            {
                Node sibling_node =
                    getRightChild(getParent(current_node, index), index);

                if (isRed(sibling_node, index))
                {
                    makeBlack(sibling_node, index);
                    makeRed(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    rotateLeft(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    sibling_node =
                        getRightChild(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                }
                if (isBlack(getLeftChild(sibling_node, index), index)
                        && isBlack(getRightChild(sibling_node, index), index))
                {
                    makeRed(sibling_node, index);
                    current_node = getParent(current_node, index);
                }
                else
                {
                    if (isBlack(getRightChild(sibling_node, index), index))
                    {
                        makeBlack(getLeftChild(sibling_node, index), index);
                        makeRed(sibling_node, index);
                        rotateRight(sibling_node, index);
                        sibling_node =
                            getRightChild(getParent(current_node, index),
                    }
                    copyColor(getParent(current_node, index), sibling_node,
                    makeBlack(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    makeBlack(getRightChild(sibling_node, index), index);
                    rotateLeft(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    current_node = _root[ index ];
                }
            }
            else
            {
                Node sibling_node =
                    getLeftChild(getParent(current_node, index), index);

                if (isRed(sibling_node, index))
                {
                    makeBlack(sibling_node, index);
                    makeRed(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    rotateRight(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    sibling_node =
                        getLeftChild(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                }
                if (isBlack(getRightChild(sibling_node, index), index)
                        && isBlack(getLeftChild(sibling_node, index), index))
                {
                    makeRed(sibling_node, index);
                    current_node = getParent(current_node, index);
                }
                else
                {
                    if (isBlack(getLeftChild(sibling_node, index), index))
                    {
                        makeBlack(getRightChild(sibling_node, index), index);
                        makeRed(sibling_node, index);
                        rotateLeft(sibling_node, index);
                        sibling_node =
                            getLeftChild(getParent(current_node, index),
                    }
                    copyColor(getParent(current_node, index), sibling_node,
                    makeBlack(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    makeBlack(getLeftChild(sibling_node, index), index);
                    rotateRight(getParent(current_node, index), index);
                    current_node = _root[ index ];
                }
            }
        }
        makeBlack(current_node, index);
    }

    /**
     * swap two nodes (except for their content), taking care of
     * special cases where one is the other's parent ... hey, it
     * happens.
     *
     * @param x one node
     * @param y another node
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
     */

    private void swapPosition(final Node x, final Node y, final int index)
    {

        // Save initial values.
        Node    x_old_parent      = x.getParent(index);
        Node    x_old_left_child  = x.getLeft(index);
        Node    x_old_right_child = x.getRight(index);
        Node    y_old_parent      = y.getParent(index);
        Node    y_old_left_child  = y.getLeft(index);
        Node    y_old_right_child = y.getRight(index);
        boolean x_was_left_child  =
            (x.getParent(index) != null)
            && (x == x.getParent(index).getLeft(index));
        boolean y_was_left_child  =
            (y.getParent(index) != null)
            && (y == y.getParent(index).getLeft(index));

        // Swap, handling special cases of one being the other's parent.
        if (x == y_old_parent)
        {   // x was y's parent
            x.setParent(y, index);
            if (y_was_left_child)
            {
                y.setLeft(x, index);
                y.setRight(x_old_right_child, index);
            }
            else
            {
                y.setRight(x, index);
                y.setLeft(x_old_left_child, index);
            }
        }
        else
        {
            x.setParent(y_old_parent, index);
            if (y_old_parent != null)
            {
                if (y_was_left_child)
                {
                    y_old_parent.setLeft(x, index);
                }
                else
                {
                    y_old_parent.setRight(x, index);
                }
            }
            y.setLeft(x_old_left_child, index);
            y.setRight(x_old_right_child, index);
        }
        if (y == x_old_parent)
        {   // y was x's parent
            y.setParent(x, index);
            if (x_was_left_child)
            {
                x.setLeft(y, index);
                x.setRight(y_old_right_child, index);
            }
            else
            {
                x.setRight(y, index);
                x.setLeft(y_old_left_child, index);
            }
        }
        else
        {
            y.setParent(x_old_parent, index);
            if (x_old_parent != null)
            {
                if (x_was_left_child)
                {
                    x_old_parent.setLeft(y, index);
                }
                else
                {
                    x_old_parent.setRight(y, index);
                }
            }
            x.setLeft(y_old_left_child, index);
            x.setRight(y_old_right_child, index);
        }

        // Fix children's parent pointers
        if (x.getLeft(index) != null)
        {
            x.getLeft(index).setParent(x, index);
        }
        if (x.getRight(index) != null)
        {
            x.getRight(index).setParent(x, index);
        }
        if (y.getLeft(index) != null)
        {
            y.getLeft(index).setParent(y, index);
        }
        if (y.getRight(index) != null)
        {
            y.getRight(index).setParent(y, index);
        }
        x.swapColors(y, index);

        // Check if _root changed
        if (_root[ index ] == x)
        {
            _root[ index ] = y;
        }
        else if (_root[ index ] == y)
        {
            _root[ index ] = x;
        }
    }

    /**
     * check if an object is fit to be proper input ... has to be
     * Comparable and non-null
     *
     * @param o the object being checked
     * @param index _KEY or _VALUE (used to put the right word in the
     *              exception message)
     *
     * @exception NullPointerException if o is null
     * @exception ClassCastException if o is not Comparable
     */

    private static void checkNonNullComparable(final Object o,
                                               final int index)
    {
        if (o == null)
        {
            throw new NullPointerException(_data_name[ index ]
                                           + " cannot be null");
        }
        if (!(o instanceof Comparable))
        {
            throw new ClassCastException(_data_name[ index ]
                                         + " must be Comparable");
        }
    }

    /**
     * check a key for validity (non-null and implements Comparable)
     *
     * @param key the key to be checked
     *
     * @exception NullPointerException if key is null
     * @exception ClassCastException if key is not Comparable
     */

    private static void checkKey(final Object key)
    {
        checkNonNullComparable(key, _KEY);
    }

    /**
     * check a value for validity (non-null and implements Comparable)
     *
     * @param value the value to be checked
     *
     * @exception NullPointerException if value is null
     * @exception ClassCastException if value is not Comparable
     */

    private static void checkValue(final Object value)
    {
        checkNonNullComparable(value, _VALUE);
    }

    /**
     * check a key and a value for validity (non-null and implements
     * Comparable)
     *
     * @param key the key to be checked
     * @param value the value to be checked
     *
     * @exception NullPointerException if key or value is null
     * @exception ClassCastException if key or value is not Comparable
     */

    private static void checkKeyAndValue(final Object key, final Object value)
    {
        checkKey(key);
        checkValue(value);
    }

    /**
     * increment the modification count -- used to check for
     * concurrent modification of the map through the map and through
     * an Iterator from one of its Set or Collection views
     */

    private void modify()
    {
        _modifications++;
    }

    /**
     * bump up the size and note that the map has changed
     */

    private void grow()
    {
        modify();
        _size++;
    }

    /**
     * decrement the size and note that the map has changed
     */

    private void shrink()
    {
        modify();
        _size--;
    }

    /**
     * insert a node by its value
     *
     * @param newNode the node to be inserted
     *
     * @exception IllegalArgumentException if the node already exists
     *                                     in the value mapping
     */

    private void insertValue(final Node newNode)
        throws IllegalArgumentException
    {
        Node node = _root[ _VALUE ];

        while (true)
        {
            int cmp = compare(newNode.getData(_VALUE), node.getData(_VALUE));

            if (cmp == 0)
            {
                throw new IllegalArgumentException(
                    "Cannot store a duplicate value (\""
                    + newNode.getData(_VALUE) + "\") in this Map");
            }
            else if (cmp < 0)
            {
                if (node.getLeft(_VALUE) != null)
                {
                    node = node.getLeft(_VALUE);
                }
                else
                {
                    node.setLeft(newNode, _VALUE);
                    newNode.setParent(node, _VALUE);
                    doRedBlackInsert(newNode, _VALUE);
                    break;
                }
            }
            else
            {   // cmp > 0
                if (node.getRight(_VALUE) != null)
                {
                    node = node.getRight(_VALUE);
                }
                else
                {
                    node.setRight(newNode, _VALUE);
                    newNode.setParent(node, _VALUE);
                    doRedBlackInsert(newNode, _VALUE);
                    break;
                }
            }
        }
    }

    /* ********** START implementation of Map ********** */

    /**
     * Returns the number of key-value mappings in this map. If the
     * map contains more than Integer.MAX_VALUE elements, returns
     * Integer.MAX_VALUE.
     *
     * @return the number of key-value mappings in this map.
     */

    public int size()
    {
        return _size;
    }

    /**
     * Returns true if this map contains a mapping for the specified
     * key.
     *
     * @param key key whose presence in this map is to be tested.
     *
     * @return true if this map contains a mapping for the specified
     *         key.
     *
     * @exception ClassCastException if the key is of an inappropriate
     *                               type for this map.
     * @exception NullPointerException if the key is null
     */

    public boolean containsKey(final Object key)
        throws ClassCastException, NullPointerException
    {
        checkKey(key);
        return lookup(( Comparable ) key, _KEY) != null;
    }

    /**
     * Returns true if this map maps one or more keys to the
     * specified value.
     *
     * @param value value whose presence in this map is to be tested.
     *
     * @return true if this map maps one or more keys to the specified
     *         value.
     */

    public boolean containsValue(final Object value)
    {
        checkValue(value);
        return lookup(( Comparable ) value, _VALUE) != null;
    }

    /**
     * Returns the value to which this map maps the specified
     * key. Returns null if the map contains no mapping for this key.
     *
     * @param key key whose associated value is to be returned.
     *
     * @return the value to which this map maps the specified key, or
     *         null if the map contains no mapping for this key.
     *
     * @exception ClassCastException if the key is of an inappropriate
     *                               type for this map.
     * @exception NullPointerException if the key is null
     */

    public Object get(final Object key)
        throws ClassCastException, NullPointerException
    {
        return doGet(( Comparable ) key, _KEY);
    }

    /**
     * Associates the specified value with the specified key in this
     * map.
     *
     * @param key key with which the specified value is to be
     *            associated.
     * @param value value to be associated with the specified key.
     *
     * @return null
     *
     * @exception ClassCastException if the class of the specified key
     *                               or value prevents it from being
     *                               stored in this map.
     * @exception NullPointerException if the specified key or value
     *                                 is null
     * @exception IllegalArgumentException if the key duplicates an
     *                                     existing key, or if the
     *                                     value duplicates an
     *                                     existing value
     */

    public Object put(final Object key, final Object value)
        throws ClassCastException, NullPointerException,
                IllegalArgumentException
    {
        checkKeyAndValue(key, value);
        Node node = _root[ _KEY ];

        if (node == null)
        {
            Node root = new Node(( Comparable ) key, ( Comparable ) value);

            _root[ _KEY ]   = root;
            _root[ _VALUE ] = root;
            grow();
        }
        else
        {
            while (true)
            {
                int cmp = compare(( Comparable ) key, node.getData(_KEY));

                if (cmp == 0)
                {
                    throw new IllegalArgumentException(
                        "Cannot store a duplicate key (\"" + key
                        + "\") in this Map");
                }
                else if (cmp < 0)
                {
                    if (node.getLeft(_KEY) != null)
                    {
                        node = node.getLeft(_KEY);
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        Node newNode = new Node(( Comparable ) key,
                                                ( Comparable ) value);

                        insertValue(newNode);
                        node.setLeft(newNode, _KEY);
                        newNode.setParent(node, _KEY);
                        doRedBlackInsert(newNode, _KEY);
                        grow();
                        break;
                    }
                }
                else
                {   // cmp > 0
                    if (node.getRight(_KEY) != null)
                    {
                        node = node.getRight(_KEY);
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        Node newNode = new Node(( Comparable ) key,
                                                ( Comparable ) value);

                        insertValue(newNode);
                        node.setRight(newNode, _KEY);
                        newNode.setParent(node, _KEY);
                        doRedBlackInsert(newNode, _KEY);
                        grow();
                        break;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
        return null;
    }

    /**
     * Removes the mapping for this key from this map if present
     *
     * @param key key whose mapping is to be removed from the map.
     *
     * @return previous value associated with specified key, or null
     *         if there was no mapping for key.
     */

    public Object remove(final Object key)
    {
        return doRemove(( Comparable ) key, _KEY);
    }

    /**
     * Removes all mappings from this map
     */

    public void clear()
    {
        modify();
        _size           = 0;
        _root[ _KEY ]   = null;
        _root[ _VALUE ] = null;
    }

    /**
     * Returns a set view of the keys contained in this map.  The set
     * is backed by the map, so changes to the map are reflected in
     * the set, and vice-versa. If the map is modified while an
     * iteration over the set is in progress, the results of the
     * iteration are undefined. The set supports element removal,
     * which removes the corresponding mapping from the map, via the
     * Iterator.remove, Set.remove, removeAll, retainAll, and clear
     * operations.  It does not support the add or addAll operations.
     *
     * @return a set view of the keys contained in this map.
     */

    public Set keySet()
    {
        if (_key_set[ _KEY ] == null)
        {
            _key_set[ _KEY ] = new AbstractSet()
            {
                public Iterator iterator()
                {
                    return new BinaryTreeIterator(_KEY)
                    {
[...]

        return _key_set[ _KEY ];
    }

    /**
     * Returns a collection view of the values contained in this
     * map. The collection is backed by the map, so changes to the map
     * are reflected in the collection, and vice-versa. If the map is
     * modified while an iteration over the collection is in progress,
     * the results of the iteration are undefined. The collection
     * supports element removal, which removes the corresponding
     * mapping from the map, via the Iterator.remove,
     * Collection.remove, removeAll, retainAll and clear operations.
     * It does not support the add or addAll operations.
     *
     * @return a collection view of the values contained in this map.
     */

    public Collection values()
    {
        if (_value_collection[ _KEY ] == null)
        {
            _value_collection[ _KEY ] = new AbstractCollection()
            {
                public Iterator iterator()
                {
[...]

        return _value_collection[ _KEY ];
    }

    /**
     * Returns a set view of the mappings contained in this map. Each
     * element in the returned set is a Map.Entry. The set is backed
     * by the map, so changes to the map are reflected in the set, and
     * vice-versa.  If the map is modified while an iteration over the
     * set is in progress, the results of the iteration are
     * undefined. The set supports element removal, which removes the
     * corresponding mapping from the map, via the Iterator.remove,
     * Set.remove, removeAll, retainAll and clear operations.  It does
     * not support the add or addAll operations.
     *
     * @return a set view of the mappings contained in this map.
     */

    public Set entrySet()
    {
        if (_entry_set[ _KEY ] == null)
        {
            _entry_set[ _KEY ] = new AbstractSet()
            {
                public Iterator iterator()
                {
                    return new BinaryTreeIterator(_KEY)
                    {
                        protected Object doGetNext()
                        {
                            return _last_returned_node;
                        }
                    };
                }

                public boolean contains(Object o)
                {
                    if (!(o instanceof Map.Entry))
                    {
                        return false;
                    }
                    Map.Entry entry = ( Map.Entry ) o;
                    Object    value = entry.getValue();
                    Node      node  = lookup(( Comparable ) entry.getKey(),
                                             _KEY);

                    return (node != null)
                           && node.getData(_VALUE).equals(value);
                }

                public boolean remove(Object o)
                {
                    if (!(o instanceof Map.Entry))
                    {
                        return false;
                    }
                    Map.Entry entry = ( Map.Entry ) o;
                    Object    value = entry.getValue();
                    Node      node  = lookup(( Comparable ) entry.getKey(),
                                             _KEY);

                    if ((node != null) && node.getData(_VALUE).equals(value))
                    {
                        doRedBlackDelete(node);
                        return true;
                    }
                    return false;
                }

                public int size()
                {
                    return BinaryTree.this.size();
                }

                public void clear()
                {
                    BinaryTree.this.clear();
                }
            };
        }
        return _entry_set[ _KEY ];
    }

    /* **********  END  implementation of Map ********** */
    private abstract class BinaryTreeIterator
        implements Iterator
    {
        private int    _expected_modifications;
        protected Node _last_returned_node;
        private Node   _next_node;
        private int    _type;

        /**
         * Constructor
         *
         * @param type
         */

        BinaryTreeIterator(final int type)
        {
            _type                   = type;
            _expected_modifications = BinaryTree.this._modifications;
            _last_returned_node     = null;
            _next_node              = leastNode(_root[ _type ], _type);
        }

        /**
         * @return 'next', whatever that means for a given kind of
         *         BinaryTreeIterator
         */

        protected abstract Object doGetNext();

        /* ********** START implementation of Iterator ********** */

        /**
         * @return true if the iterator has more elements.
         */

        public final boolean hasNext()
        {
            return _next_node != null;
        }

        /**
         * @return the next element in the iteration.
         *
         * @exception NoSuchElementException if iteration has no more
         *                                   elements.
         * @exception ConcurrentModificationException if the
         *                                            BinaryTree is
         *                                            modified behind
         *                                            the iterator's
         *                                            back
         */

        public final Object next()
            throws NoSuchElementException, ConcurrentModificationException
        {
            if (_next_node == null)
            {
                throw new NoSuchElementException();
            }
            if (_modifications != _expected_modifications)
            {
                throw new ConcurrentModificationException();
            }
            _last_returned_node = _next_node;
            _next_node          = nextGreater(_next_node, _type);
            return doGetNext();
        }

        /**
         * Removes from the underlying collection the last element
         * returned by the iterator. This method can be called only
         * once per call to next. The behavior of an iterator is
         * unspecified if the underlying collection is modified while
         * the iteration is in progress in any way other than by
         * calling this method.
         *
         * @exception IllegalStateException if the next method has not
         *                                  yet been called, or the
         *                                  remove method has already
         *                                  been called after the last
         *                                  call to the next method.
         * @exception ConcurrentModificationException if the
         *                                            BinaryTree is
         *                                            modified behind
         *                                            the iterator's
         *                                            back
         */

        public final void remove()
            throws IllegalStateException, ConcurrentModificationException
        {
            if (_last_returned_node == null)
            {
                throw new IllegalStateException();
            }
            if (_modifications != _expected_modifications)
            {
                throw new ConcurrentModificationException();
            }
            doRedBlackDelete(_last_returned_node);
            _expected_modifications++;
            _last_returned_node = null;
        }

        /* **********  END  implementation of Iterator ********** */
    }   // end private abstract class BinaryTreeIterator

    // final for performance
    private static final class Node
        implements Map.Entry
    {
        private Comparable[] _data;
        private Node[]       _left;
        private Node[]       _right;
        private Node[]       _parent;
        private boolean[]    _black;
        private int          _hashcode;
        private boolean      _calculated_hashcode;

        /**
         * Make a new cell with given key and value, and with null
         * links, and black (true) colors.
         *
         * @param key
         * @param value
         */

        Node(final Comparable key, final Comparable value)
        {
            _data                = new Comparable[]
            {
                key, value
            };
            _left                = new Node[]
            {
                null, null
            };
            _right               = new Node[]
            {
                null, null
            };
            _parent              = new Node[]
            {
                null, null
            };
            _black               = new boolean[]
            {
                true, true
            };
            _calculated_hashcode = false;
        }

        /**
         * get the specified data
         *
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         *
         * @return the key or value
         */

        private Comparable getData(final int index)
        {
            return _data[ index ];
        }

        /**
         * Set this node's left node
         *
         * @param node the new left node
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         */

        private void setLeft(final Node node, final int index)
        {
            _left[ index ] = node;
        }

        /**
         * get the left node
         *
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         *
         * @return the left node -- may be null
         */

        private Node getLeft(final int index)
        {
            return _left[ index ];
        }

        /**
         * Set this node's right node
         *
         * @param node the new right node
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         */

        private void setRight(final Node node, final int index)
        {
            _right[ index ] = node;
        }

        /**
         * get the right node
         *
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         *
         * @return the right node -- may be null
         */

        private Node getRight(final int index)
        {
            return _right[ index ];
        }

        /**
         * Set this node's parent node
         *
         * @param node the new parent node
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         */

        private void setParent(final Node node, final int index)
        {
            _parent[ index ] = node;
        }

        /**
         * get the parent node
         *
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         *
         * @return the parent node -- may be null
         */

        private Node getParent(final int index)
        {
            return _parent[ index ];
        }

        /**
         * exchange colors with another node
         *
         * @param node the node to swap with
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         */

        private void swapColors(final Node node, final int index)
        {

            // Swap colors -- old hacker's trick
            _black[ index ]      ^= node._black[ index ];
            node._black[ index ] ^= _black[ index ];
            _black[ index ]      ^= node._black[ index ];
        }

        /**
         * is this node black?
         *
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         *
         * @return true if black (which is represented as a true boolean)
         */

        private boolean isBlack(final int index)
        {
            return _black[ index ];
        }

        /**
         * is this node red?
         *
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         *
         * @return true if non-black
         */

        private boolean isRed(final int index)
        {
            return !_black[ index ];
        }

        /**
         * make this node black
         *
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         */

        private void setBlack(final int index)
        {
            _black[ index ] = true;
        }

        /**
         * make this node red
         *
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         */

        private void setRed(final int index)
        {
            _black[ index ] = false;
        }

        /**
         * make this node the same color as another
         *
         * @param node the node whose color we're adopting
         * @param index _KEY or _VALUE
         */

        private void copyColor(final Node node, final int index)
        {
            _black[ index ] = node._black[ index ];
        }

        /* ********** START implementation of Map.Entry ********** */

        /**
         * @return the key corresponding to this entry.
         */

        public Object getKey()
        {
            return _data[ _KEY ];
        }

        /**
         * @return the value corresponding to this entry.
         */

        public Object getValue()
        {
            return _data[ _VALUE ];
        }

        /**
         * Optional operation that is not permitted in this
         * implementation
         *
         * @param ignored
         *
         * @return does not return
         *
         * @exception UnsupportedOperationException
         */

        public Object setValue(Object ignored)
            throws UnsupportedOperationException
        {
            throw new UnsupportedOperationException(
                "Map.Entry.setValue is not supported");
        }

        /**
         * Compares the specified object with this entry for equality.
         * Returns true if the given object is also a map entry and
         * the two entries represent the same mapping.
         *
         * @param o object to be compared for equality with this map
         *          entry.
         * @return true if the specified object is equal to this map
         *         entry.
         */

        public boolean equals(Object o)
        {
            if (this == o)
            {
                return true;
            }
            if (!(o instanceof Map.Entry))
            {
                return false;
            }
            Map.Entry e = ( Map.Entry ) o;

            return _data[ _KEY ].equals(e.getKey())
                   && _data[ _VALUE ].equals(e.getValue());
        }

        /**
         * @return the hash code value for this map entry.
         */

        public int hashCode()
        {
            if (!_calculated_hashcode)
            {
                _hashcode            = _data[ _KEY ].hashCode()
                                       ^ _data[ _VALUE ].hashCode();
                _calculated_hashcode = true;
            }
            return _hashcode;