gcj/33

The following reply was made to PR gcj/33; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
To: Java Gnats Server <java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Cc: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortz@pasteur.fr>
Subject: gcj/33
Date: 02 Sep 1999 20:54:20 -0600

 I looked at this problem.

 gcj assumes that the input file is itself Utf-8 encoded.  Is this the
 case in your example?  My guess is that the other compilers assume
 that the input file is encoded according to your locale's charset, and
 that your input file is Latin-1.  To gcj, a Latin-1 file looks like a
 file with encoding errors.

 As a workaround you can convert your program to Utf-8 using GNU recode
 (or iconv if you have it).

 In the long term I agree that gcj should read the file using the
 locale (possibly augmented with a new flag to indicate the encoding).
 For instance, we could do this quite easily using libunicode (Java
 hackers, contact me for details).

 Tom