Re: Not quoted option names in errors and warnings

On 11/21/18 1:48 AM, Martin Sebor wrote:
> On 11/20/2018 12:54 PM, Martin Liška wrote:

>>> Yes, issuing a -Wformat warning for __gcc_diag__ functions is what
>>> I'm thinking of.  A checker that would look for substrings within
>>> the format string that match the "-[Wfm][a-z][a-z_1-9]*" patterns
>>> (or anything else that matches an option) and point them out if
>>> they're not enclosed in a pair of %< %> (or suggest to use %qs).
>>>
>>> Martin
>>
>> Sounds good to me. Well, I can imagine doing that for GCC 9 release.
>> When will you find spare cycles for the warning? In can prepare
>> the warning/error messages patch.
>
> I don't expect to have the time to work on the warning until
> sometime in stage 1 (as an enhancement I also wouldn't expect
> it to be approved, but maybe you can get away with it ;-)
>
> Martin

That's fine, I've just noticed that to my TODO list for next stage1.

One related question: Is it fine to use apostrophes in dg-error/dg-warning patterns.
E.g.
gcc/testsuite/g++.dg/cpp1z/decomp48.C:  return s;               // { dg-warning "reference to local variable 's' returned" }

shouldn't that be { dg-warning "reference to local variable .s. returned" }?

Martin