Re: code-gen options for disabling multi-operand AArch64 and ARM instructions

On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 09:56:18AM +0200, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On 7 June 2018 at 09:48, Christoffer Dall <christoffer.dall@arm.com> wrote:
> > [+Will]

> >> I believe so -- the instruction decoding is theoretically possible (to
> >> my understanding); KVM currently doesn't do it because it's super
> >> complex (again, to my understanding).
> >>
> > The instruction decoding was considered and discarded because the
> > understanding at the time was that any instruction that didn't generate
> > valid decoding hints in the syndrome register (such as multiple output
> > register operations) would not be safe to use on device memory, and
> > therefore shouldn't be used neither on real hardware nor in VM guests.
> >

> How is it unsafe for a load or store with writeback to be used on
> device memory? That does not make sense to me.

I don't understand that either, which is why I cc'ed Will who argued for
this last IIRC.

> In any case, I suppose that *decoding* the instruction is not the
> problem, it is loading the opcode in the first place, given that it is
> not recorded in any system registers when the exception is taken. ELR
> will contain a virtual guest address [which could be in userland], and
> the host should translate that (which involves guest page tables that
> may be modified by other VCPUs concurrently) and map it to be able to
> get to the actual bits.
>
> > If this still holds, it's not a question of an architecture bug or a
> > missing feature in KVM, but a question of a guest doing something wrong.
> >

> Do you have a mutt macro for that response? :-)

No I don't.  And I wouldn't mind adding instruction decoding to KVM.  I
already wrote it once, but the maintainer didn't want to merge the code
unless I unified all instruction decoding in the arm kernel, which I was
unable to do.

Sarkasm and instruction decoding stories aside, we've had a number of
reports of this kind of error in the past where the problem was simply
people using the wrong the DT with their guest kernel.  I don't think
we've seen an actual case of a real guest that was using the 'wrong'
instruction to actually do I/O.

> > I added Will here, because he provided the rationale for why the premise
> > held last we discussed this, and he may be able to update us on that.
> >
> > As Ard pointed out, KVM could probably provide a more helpful error
> > message or be a bit more clever in trying to find out what happened.
> > Some times, if guests are misconfigured, and for example think that
> > normal memory is placed in the guest physical memory map where the
> > hypervisor placed an I/O device, guests will issue non-decodable
> > instructions against I/O memory and KVM simply provides this misleading
> > error message.
> >

> As I pointed out in the BZ entry, this smells like another exception
> that gets reported at EL2, and lacks the syndrome information for
> unrelated reasons (i.e., nothing to do with the opcode)

I don't understand how that would result in the error message reported.
kvm_handle_guest_abort() has:

	/* Check the stage-2 fault is trans. fault or write fault */
	if (fault_status != FSC_FAULT && fault_status != FSC_PERM &&
	    fault_status != FSC_ACCESS) {
		kvm_err("Unsupported FSC: EC=%#x xFSC=%#lx ESR_EL2=%#lx\n",
			kvm_vcpu_trap_get_class(vcpu),
			(unsigned long)kvm_vcpu_trap_get_fault(vcpu),
			(unsigned long)kvm_vcpu_get_hsr(vcpu));
		return -EFAULT;
	}

Are you saying that we can get a stage 2 data abort, which reports the
DFSC as translation, permission, or access fault, while it's something
different completely?

In any case, I was just trying to help here, by providing some
additional background and context.  I agree that KVM's error messaging
could be improved, and if we should implement instruction decoding for
certain instructions that can validly be used for I/O access, then we
can add that to our to-do list.

-Christoffer