Re: RISC-V ELF multilibs

On 29/05/18 20:02, Jim Wilson wrote:
Most variants include the C extension. Would it be possible to add -march=rv32g and -march=rv64g variants?

The expectation is that most implementations will include the C extension.  It reduces code size, improves performance, and I think I read somewhere that it takes only 400 gates to implement.

It isn't practical to try to support every possible combination of architecture and ABI here, as there are too many possible combinations. But if there is a major RISC-V target that is rv32g or rv64g then we should consider it.  You can of course define your own set of multilibs.

I am not a hardware developer, but I heard that the C extension is not easy to implement in out of order machines. For example:

https://www2.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2017/EECS-2017-157.html

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16