Re: Auto-generated .rodata contents and __attribute__((section))

Hi,

On Wed, 16 May 2018, Richard Biener wrote:

> > Are constant pool entries merged at compile time or at link time? I
> > would presume it should be done at link time because otherwise you're
> > only merging entries within a single compilation unit (which doesn't
> > sound that useful in a big project with hundreds of source files),
> > right?
>
> constant pool entries are merged at compile time.  There's no such thing
> as mergeable constant pool sections

Actually there is in ELF.  Mergable sections can not only hold strings,
but also fixed-size entities (e.g. 4 or 8 byte constants).  Those are
merged content-wise at link time and references properly rewritten.  Of
course, those still aren't per-function.

Ciao,
Michael.