Re: libstdc++: ODR violation when using std::regex with and without -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG

On 8 May 2018 at 15:45, Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@inria.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 May 2018, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

>>> This is only supported in very restricted cases.

>>> Yes, but my frank response is "don't do that".
>>>
>>> The right fix here might be to ensure that _NFA always uses the
>>> non-debug vector even in Debug Mode, but I'm fairly certain there are
>>> other similar problems lurking.
>>

>> N.B. I think this discussion belongs on the libstdc++ list.
>

> Would it make sense to use the abi_tag attribute to help with that? (I
> didn't really think about it, maybe it doesn't)

Yes, I think we could add it conditionally in debug mode, so that
types with members that are either std::xxx or __gnu_debug::xxx get a
different mangled name in debug mode.

For the regex _NFA type I don't think we want the debug mode checking,
because users can't access it directly so any errors are in the
libstdc++ implementation and we should have eliminated them ourselves,
not be pushing detection of those logic errors into users' programs.
For std::match_results (which derives from std::vector) it's possible
for users to use invalid iterators obtained from a match_results, so
Debug Mode can help. In that case we could decide whether to add the
abi_tag, or always derive from _GLIBCXX_STD_C::vector (i.e. the
non-debug mode one), or even provide an entire
__gnu_debug::match_results type.

> "don't do that" remains the most sensible answer.

Yes, it's just asking for trouble.