Re: GSoC (Improvements to GCC on Windows)

On 03/14/2018 05:13 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Mar 13 2018, Ko Phyo wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>>         I want to apply the project "Improvements to GCC on Windows" of GCC
>> foundation. As a student, I have some theorectical knowledges about C/C++
>> and compiler technologies. And I am sure that the Windows platform has
>> steps that are little behind than other open source platforms in pure C/C++
>> technology. So I decided to work on GSoC 2018 with your "Windows
>> Improvement program". Please let me know if I am selected as a mentored
>> student in yours great project. I will be waiting for your kind reply.
>
> Well, please note that you still need to apply formally through the GSoC
> website to stand a chance to be selected, that does not happen here.
> We want students to contact us prior to applying so that their proposals
> and goals make sense.
>
> As far as improving GCC on Windows is concerned, we may find it
> challenging to find you a mentor (I am CCing Jonathan Yong, the cygwin
> and mingw-w64 maintainer, maybe he has an idea what could be done in
> this area as a GSoC project and who might mentor it?).
>
> Meanwhile, make sure you can build GCC from sources on Windows (I admit
> I would not know how to do it myself!) and run the testsuite.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Martin
> .

Hi, I have been away for work this past month.

There is a demand for a proper C++11 threading implementation for
Windows using native Windows APIs (post Vista APIs), I have not looked
too much into it, nor do I know if the scope is too big or too small for
a summer project. Liu Hao has worked on it, and should be familiar with
the scope, I have CC'ed him.

Never having run any gsoc programs, are there any specific procedures to
get it started?