Re: -static-pie and -static -pie

On 31/01/18 15:44, Cory Fields wrote:
After looking at this for quite a while, I'm afraid I'm unsure how to proceed.

As of now, static and static-pie are mutually exclusive. So given the
GNU_USER_TARGET_STARTFILE_SPEC you pasted
earlier, "static" matches before "static-pie", causing the wrong start files.

It seems to me that the static-pie target complicates things more than
matching against static+pie individually.

If I convert -static + -pie to -static-pie, then "static" won't be
matched in specs, where maybe it otherwise should. Same for -pie.

you can change PIE_SPEC to pie|static-pie
and occurrences of static to static|static-pie
(and !static: to !static:%{!static-pie: etc.),
except where it is used to mean "no-pie static",
those should be changed to PIE_SPEC:;static:
(and i think --no-dynamic-linker should always
be passed to ld in LD_PIE_SPEC for static pie,
not just on linux systems and selected targets.)

then there should be no difference between -static -pie
and -static-pie. (and the new -static-pie flag would
be redundant.)

this would e.g. break static linking with default pie
toolchain on systems where the static libc is not pie
or missing the rcrt startup file after upgrading to gcc-8.
i'm not sure if this is a good enough reason to introduce
the -static-pie mess, however if we don't want to break
any previously working configuration then -static-pie has
to be different from -static -pie.

Would you prefer to swallow -static and -pie and pass along only
-static-pie? Or forward them all along, and fix the specs which look
for static before static-pie ?

Regards,
Cory