Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas

On 01/17/2018 06:54 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> following a discussion at IRC about an upcoming deadline to register GCC
> as an independent organization for Google Summer of Code 2018 (GSoC), I
> have volunteered to serve as the org-admin for GCC if:

Hello.

I would like to thank you Martin that I decided to take care of GSoC.
Hopefully we'll find some newcomers for the projects.

>   - there is not another volunteer (so step up if you are!),
>
>   - the community does not object (so let me and/or the steering
>     committee know if you think I am not the right person!), and
>
>   - we have at least 4 good project ideas together(!) with willing
>     mentors by next Monday January 22 (the deadline is on Tuesday).  I
>     will be very happy if we have more.
>
> There are project ideas on our GSoC wiki page
> (https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode) but those are not associated
> with a willing mentor and it is basically an idea dump, it is often not
> clear how up to date the proposals are and often they are just a bit too
> terse.
>
> Therefore I would like to ask all seasoned GCC contributors who would
> like to mentor a GSoC student to send a reply to this thread with their
> idea for a project.  If you have an idea but you do not want to be a
> mentor then I will consider it only if it is really interesting, really
> specific (e.g. improving -O2 -g *somehow* is not specific) and I would
> have to be reasonably confident I'd find a good mentor for it.  So far I
> have the following ideas from the IRC discussion:
>
> 1) Jakub is willing to mentor (with someone from GDB but I reckon that
>    we will find someone) a project implementing OMPD.
>
> 2) Martin Liška is willing to mentor either:
>    2a) -fsanitize=type (He provided URL https://reviews.llvm.org/D32197
>        but it gives me a 404 error) or its prototype, or
>    2b) bash code completion like:
>        http://blog.llvm.org/2017/09/clang-bash-better-auto-completion-is.html
>        but frankly I am afraid it is too small to be a GSoC project, or
>    2c) textual representation of LTO stream a.k.a. lto-dump tool

If there's an interest, I can specify in more detail these topics. Note that
David Malcolm is also interested in 2b) and he's willing to be co-mentor.
The topic 2b) can be enlarged to an overhaul of option handling, with possible
rewritten of current AWK scripts.

Martin