Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas

On 1/17/2018 11:54 AM, Martin Jambor wrote:
Hi,

following a discussion at IRC about an upcoming deadline to register GCC
as an independent organization for Google Summer of Code 2018 (GSoC), I
have volunteered to serve as the org-admin for GCC if:

   - there is not another volunteer (so step up if you are!),

   - the community does not object (so let me and/or the steering
     committee know if you think I am not the right person!), and

   - we have at least 4 good project ideas together(!) with willing
     mentors by next Monday January 22 (the deadline is on Tuesday).  I
     will be very happy if we have more.

There are project ideas on our GSoC wiki page
(https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode) but those are not associated
with a willing mentor and it is basically an idea dump, it is often not
clear how up to date the proposals are and often they are just a bit too
terse.

I will put a plug for a GCC related project on the RTEMS wish list that
is on our GSoC Open Projects list. It is part of a broader project.
We need someone who understands gcov for. We would consider you a
co-mentor but I think the support would be light. I think it would
be better described as a subject matter expert helping on an issue.

We have a tool that aggregates the output of simulator trace logs
and generates coverage reports directly. It can also generate
gcov output but there are some anomalies when gcov generates reports
from our input that don't match the truth of the traces.

We just need someone who can explain what is wrong so it can be fixed.

Therefore I would like to ask all seasoned GCC contributors who would
like to mentor a GSoC student to send a reply to this thread with their
idea for a project.  If you have an idea but you do not want to be a
mentor then I will consider it only if it is really interesting, really
specific (e.g. improving -O2 -g *somehow* is not specific) and I would
have to be reasonably confident I'd find a good mentor for it.  So far I
have the following ideas from the IRC discussion:

1) Jakub is willing to mentor (with someone from GDB but I reckon that
    we will find someone) a project implementing OMPD.

2) Martin Liška is willing to mentor either:
    2a) -fsanitize=type (He provided URL https://reviews.llvm.org/D32197
        but it gives me a 404 error) or its prototype, or
    2b) bash code completion like:
        http://blog.llvm.org/2017/09/clang-bash-better-auto-completion-is.html
        but frankly I am afraid it is too small to be a GSoC project, or
    2c) textual representation of LTO stream a.k.a. lto-dump tool

3?) Joseph Myers brought up idea to do "built-in functions for TS 18661
     floating-point functions - which has the feature that there are a
     lot of similar built-in functions for C99/C11 functions to serve as
     a guide for how to implement things)" ...Joseph, would you be
     willing to mentor it?

Please send me your idea for a project you'd like to mentor.  Also feel
free to comment on other proposals including those above.  I intend to
put successful project ideas from this thread into a prominent position
on the wiki page.  Remember, I want at least four plausible ones with
willing mentors until Monday, January 22nd 23:59 CET.

All sorts of information are available from the GSoC web page at
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/, for example guides for mentors are
at
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/resources/guide#mentor_manual

Thanks,