Re: Exhaustive Instructions for Toolchain Generation

I apologize for the series of emails, but having stitched many

This is a response to the conversation started by noloader. I
appreciate the empathy he had for my question, as that is what led me
to ask it (I have also had the exact same issues trying to use
OpenSSL, for the reasons outlined).

The problem is, more or less, that learning the necessary vocabulary
to search for useful solutions is hard to do without already knowing
the vocabulary. This is particularly troublesome with GCC compilation,
because most people seem to skim over the dense documentation and do
not explain why they chose the options they did. I fell prey to this
myself because I am small and delicious, but also because I did not
know what relevant things I should be looking for. Given enough time I
would have started reading everything, documentation and code,
straight through, but typically there is a faster option. Ergo, my
question.

Even if the vocabulary is acquired, it is necessary to relate that to
one's goal. This part is easier but can still be troublesome. I
apologize if I actually bothered anyone, but asking for general
direction seems reasonable based on what I have observed elsewhere.

I appreciate the responses I've received here, because they did give
me useful advice.

I would like to corroborate that the situation that noloader suggested
exists, and that it is a problem I have observed with multiple
project's Wikis. I do not know how to fix extant problems. Something
that seems reasonable to me is that new features are documented but
also indexed based on usage. Some people do not like this suggestion,
and I understand.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:17 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 5:34 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3 October 2017 at 22:27, R0b0t1 wrote:
>>> I decline to do your company's market research for them. They could choose
>>> to pay me, of course. Based on the failures I am experiencing I doubt that
>>> your company has gotten the build process entirely correct.
>>
>> Given that you apparently only recently learnt about --sysroot it
>> seems a bit presumptuous to assume Codesourcery's experts don't know
>> what they're doing.
>
> I admit no great knowledge of GCC, which is why I am asking questions
> here. I have attempted to compile many different configurations

In my stupidity and haste, I left this portion unfinished. I meant to
say that my experimentation with various architectures and
configurations has led me to encounter a wide variety of problems with
GNU/Linux software, and to an understanding of the solutions
necessary.

This segues into the next paragraph by the realization that the
typically high-quality open source efforts try more things and
collectively expose more problems than a single company could ever
hope to.

Respectfully,
     R0b0t1