Re: [RFC] type promotion pass

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017, Richard Biener wrote:

> IIRC the last time we went over this patch I concluded a better first
> step would be to expose call ABI details on GIMPLE much earlier. But I
> may misremember here.

Some call details are exposed in the front ends (see
targetm.calls.promote_prototypes called from c-typeck.c, for example).  I
think that's too early; the front end should be generating IR for calls
that reflects the language semantics, and architecture details should be
exposed later (quite likely on GIMPLE).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com