Re: RFC: Improving GCC8 default option settings

> * Make -fomit-frame-pointer the default - various targets already do this at
>   higher optimization levels, but this could easily be done for all targets.
>   Frame pointers haven't been needed for debugging for decades, however if there
>   are still good reasons to keep it enabled with -O0 or -O1 (I can't think of any
>   unless it is for last-resort backtrace when there is no unwind info at a crash),
>   we could just disable the frame pointer from -O2 onwards.

Given there's an -Og now, maybe frame pointers could be enabled fo -O0
and -Og, off by default otherwise.

I like to use -O1 to kick-in the analysis engine and start catching
warnings. It seems like -O1 should be closer -O2/-O3, with respect to
frame pointers since it could help find issues and tickle problems
with hand crafted ASM.

Jeff