Re: Byte swapping support

> On Sep 12, 2017, at 5:32 AM, Jürg Billeter <juerg.billeter@codethink.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> To support applications that assume big-endian memory layout on little-
> endian systems, I'm considering adding support for reversing the
> storage order to GCC. In contrast to the existing scalar storage order
> support for structs, the goal is to reverse the storage order for all
> memory operations to achieve maximum compatibility with the behavior on
> big-endian systems, as far as observable by the application.

I've done this in the past by C++ type magic.  As a general setting it doesn't make sense that I can see.  As an attribute applied to a particular data item, it does.  But I'm not sure why you'd put this in the compiler when programmers can do it easily enough by defining a "big endian int32" class, etc.

	paul