Re: Bounce GCC119 (was: [cfarm-admins] Extremely Slow Disk Access On GCC119)

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>> The system was configured to maximize diskspace and flexibility.  It
>> now is supporting six, separate VMs.  The disk array was configured as
>> a single physical volume, mapped to a single logical volume, that then
>> is partitioned into virtual I/O devices mapped to the VMs, which then
>> are formatted for AIX filesystems.  It's a lot of virualization
>> layers. I already have increased the disk queues in the AIX VMs, which
>> increased performance relative to the initial installation.  Also, the
>> VIOS was slightly under-sized for the current amount of usage, but I
>> have avoided rebooting the entire system to adjust that.
>
> I can't speak for others, but if GCC119 needs a reboot then do it.

The issue is not rebooting gcc119 AIX VM or wiping out the AIX /home
filesystem. To expand the VIOS partition I need to reboot the
hypervisor host and all of the AIX partitions, which is more difficult
to schedule. Also, there does not appear to be a mechanism to squeeze
down the physical volume on the disk array and carve out new devices.

Thanks, David