This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: RFC: Add ___tls_get_addr
- From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Rich Felker <dalias at libc dot org>, "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: "x86-64-abi at googlegroups dot com" <x86-64-abi at googlegroups dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 10:28:01 -0400
- Subject: Re: RFC: Add ___tls_get_addr
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMe9rOrYdAh6kJUUTdyzWdwfhEWVuiHJVs5xhp4pVbeB6hEM1w@mail.gmail.com> <20170705160221.GA22843@brightrain.aerifal.cx>
On 07/05/2017 12:02 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> Note that if you make the change and have gcc generate calls to the
> new ___tls_get_addr symbol, it's going to be problematic for people
> trying to link to older glibc versions that don't have it.
This is a normal problem to have, and there are solutions for this.
As you ask, the real question is: Is it necessary?