This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Steering committee, please, consider using lzip instead of xz
- From: Maria Bisen <mariabisen at gmail dot com>
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 13:47:42 +0200
- Subject: Re: Steering committee, please, consider using lzip instead of xz
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
> If the steering committee would approve of the use of lzip I think it
> would be beneficial. So far it looks like there is only one major
> distribution which does not support it in its repository, and that
> would be an easy fix for that distribution.
I suspect there are more people interested in using lzip than it seems so.
For instance, here I've found a German doctor who would like to see
lzip more used.
"Lzip was used here because it led to considerably higher rates of
compression than the more widely available gzip, is less susceptible
to corruption and does not contain the modification time of the input
so that identical input will lead to identical output. It is hoped
that Lzip will see more widespread use in the future so that this
choice will lead to less and less discomfort for the user."