Re: GCC 6.3 vs 6.3.1 - whats the difference? Is 6.3.1 an unofficial secret GCC release?

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 09:01:41AM +0300, info rmer wrote:
> 12.06.2017, 21:41, "Richard Biener" <richard.guenther@gmail.com>:
> >
> > 6.3.1 is the version GCC reports for snapshots off the GCC 6 branch
> > between the 6.3 and the upcoming 6.4 release.  It's basically 6.3 with
> > additional patches.
> >
> > Richard.
> >

> Thank you very much. Is there any way to obtain the source code for this 6.3.1 version?

There is no single 6.3.1 version, 6.3.1 is any snapshot between 6.3 and 6.4,
either (rarely) one of the many weekly snapshots from
ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/, or (much more often) just a snapshot
from SVN or git.  Plus often the distro versions of GCC contain additional
patches.  BTW, the version is often also accompanied with a date and
additional details like:
gcc version 6.3.1 20161221 (Red Hat 6.3.1-1) (GCC)
so you also know quickly at least the date at which the upstream snapshot
was merged.

> Or is it unknown - at what point of GCC 6 branch development the distro maintainers have cloned their GCC?

If for whatever reason you need to have details on this, you need to look at
what actually is included and see if there is any metadata (e.g. SVN
revision or git hash) from where this was taken.  Some distros also use
vendor branches in upstream SVN or git or their own repositories with additional
changes which are periodically synced from the upstream release branch.
E.g. for Fedora in gcc.spec file there is a SVN revision number and details
how to check out the snapshot from branches/redhat/gcc-N-branch and the
commit messages on that branch (or svn:mergeinfo property on .) tell you what
revisions from corresponding upstream branches/gcc-N-branch have been merged
in.

> 13.06.2017, 01:39, "Jonathan Wakely" <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>:
> > On 12 June 2017 at 19:37, info rmer wrote:
> >>  A lot of Linux distributions have gcc 6.3.1 available, or even preinstalled.
> >>  However, I am not able to find any info about 6.3.1 at the official GCC pages at gnu org.
> >
> > See https://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html#num_scheme
>
> Sadly this num_scheme link does not contain any mention to 6.3.1

Why should it?  It explains the numbering scheme, which applies equally to
any other numbers (5+).

	Jakub