Re: Steering committee, please, consider using lzip instead of xz

Richard Biener wrote:
While openSUSE has it, SLES does not.  tar support seems to be
via calling the external lzip tool (failing if that is not available).

You mean SUSE Linux Enterprise Server is using a format that does not guarantee safe interoperability among implementations[1] to "power mission-critical workloads"!?

[1] http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/xz_inadequate.html#fragmented

The decision to use xz was largely due to availability.  If we use lzip
and 80% of the users have to fall back to the .gz tarball that would
be pointless.

For the case of SLES[2] I would say that avoiding xz is a must. IMHO SLES users are better served by falling back to the .gz tarball until the next major version of SLES is released than by suffering xz forever.

[2] http://www.suse.com/products/server/
"SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 is a highly reliable, scalable and secure server operating system".

Best regards,
Antonio.