This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: dejagnu version update?
- From: Pedro Alves <palves at redhat dot com>
- To: Trevor Saunders <tbsaunde at tbsaunde dot org>, Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>, Mike Stump <mikestump at comcast dot net>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 19:05:14 +0100
- Subject: Re: dejagnu version update?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55F74C3D.email@example.com> <F5F4A096-2DD7-4635-9CB2-5A611247D71F@comcast.net> <1B14D92A-0476-416B-A80D-A3083383C48D@gmail.com> <55F879CB.firstname.lastname@example.org> <16565ACE-A56C-4971-BEA9-B299C9B40346@comcast.net> <email@example.com> <2BAFA587-8192-495C-B98C-BDA442B1A8A6@comcast.net> <55F997E3.firstname.lastname@example.org> <55F99A9F.email@example.com> <20150916172518.GB17834@tsaunders-iceball.corp.tor1.mozilla.com> <20170515155406.hopdkg7v3pd2nxzu@alvy>
On 05/15/2017 04:54 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 01:25:18PM -0400, Trevor Saunders wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 10:36:47AM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
>>> I'd rather just move to 1.5 and get on with things. If some systems don't
>>> have a new enough version, I'm comfortable telling developers on those
>>> platforms that they need to update. It's not like every *user* needs
>>> dejagnu, it's just for the testing side of things.
>> yeah, it seems like a poor idea to slow down progress we make for all
>> users to benefit a few people who want to develope on rather old
The relying on system dejagnu on old distributions has been a sure
recipe for people avoiding fixing / improving dejagnu. I mean,
why bother, if your fix will only be generally available in 10 years
when older distros are finally phased out?
> Could we at least make sure that machines in the FSF compile farm have
> a new enough dejagnu before move to requiring at least 1.5?
> I understand that may be a tall order, given that some machines
> (e.g. gcc117) do not have dejagnu at all and this was reported some
> time ago :-(
Maybe download_prerequisites could be taught to handle downloading
and setting up dejagnu , making it mostly a non-issue?
 Last time I needed to do it, it was mostly plain old
configure/make/make install IIRC, assuming new-enough tcl/expect.
Building a newer tcl/expect would be a bit more work of course.