Re: Question about dump_printf/dump_printf_loc

On 05/05/2017 04:37 PM, Steve Ellcey wrote:
I have a simple question about dump_printf and dump_printf_loc.  I notice
that most (all?) of the uses of these function are of the form:

	if (dump_enabled_p ())
		dump_printf_loc (MSG_*, ......);

Since dump_enabled_p() is just checking to see if dump_file or alt_dump_file
is set and since dump_printf_loc has checks for these as well, is there
any reason why we shouldn't or couldn't just use:

	dump_printf_loc (MSG_*, ......);

with out the call to dump_enabled_p and have the dump function do nothing
when there is no dump file set?  I suppose the first version would have
some performance advantage since dump_enabled_p is an inlined function,
but is that enough of a reason to do it?  The second version seems like
it would look cleaner in the code where we are making these calls.

I doubt the performance difference is measurable. More likely than not it's just habit.

I tend to perfer the second as it makes the code easier (IMHO) to read.

jeff