Re: Plugin development under windows

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017, David Malcolm wrote:

> > Substantially I'm writing just to ask:
> > Can GCC plugins run on a windows build of GCC compiler (MinGW) ?
>
> I suspect the answer is "you're the first person to try this in a
> while; some things may need fixing" - but that's a guess :)

If it's Windows host, the answer is: plugin support relies on dlopen, and
on -rdynamic for plugins to access symbols from cc1/cc1plus.  No doubt it
would be possible to add Windows host support, but it would require
someone with a thorough understanding of the Windows DLL model and how it
differs from ELF shared libraries to come up with and implement an
appropriate design for Windows-host plugins in GCC.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com