Re: C++17 by default in gcc-8

On Sunday 26 March 2017, Egor Pugin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's a bit early question, but still.
> C++ releases became more predictive and regular.
> What do you think about settings -std=c++17 (or gnu++17) for gcc-8 as
> default c++ mode?
> What is your policy regarding default c++ standards in gcc?

It would make sense in it being the second release with full c++17 support, so
we could expect the support to be mature in gcc 8.  I am a little sceptical
personally though, because I just recently got burned by a C++17 change, where
a number of uses of functor classes broke because pointers to functions with
noexcept is now a separate type. So code that worked with C++14 is now illegal
in C++17 and requires doubling the number of specialized functor templates,
and still isn't fully source compatible with C++14 (though all nice clean code
will be compatible)

Best regards
`Allan