Re: Translation breaks IDE

On Tuesday 21 March 2017 10:57:33 Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 03/17/2017 02:30 PM, David Malcolm wrote:
> > Paraphrasing myself from that RFE: given that many IDEs can already
> > parse LANG=C output, presumably you'd want a command-line flag that
> > suppresses just the translation of "error" and "warning" etc, so that
> > instead of output of the form:
>
> It probably should be an environment variable, too, so that an IDE can
> set that before running make.  Otherwise, the programmer has to change
> the makefile manually, or this kind of IDE support is restricted to IDEs
> with integrated build systems.

That's a good idea.

A command line option can easily be passed to the compiler (at least in
QtCreator) but the user has first to figure out that the errors and warnings are
broken in the IDE because of a problem in the compiler and, then, that it can
be fixed by passing a flag to the compiler!

With an environment variable, the IDE can set the variable once and for all.
It won't break compilers that don't support it and it will start working as
soon as gcc 4, 5, 6 and 7 are phased out (within 15 years or so :-) ).

I like the idea. It requires zero knowledge or action from the user.

Frederic