Re: Obsolete powerpc*-*-*spe*

On 15/02/17 01:49, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

With the Qualcomm takeover of Freescale/NXP I guess the PowerPC has no
future in this area and they will move to ARM for the processor cores.

That is my understanding as well, yes.

Our reps have suggested that the opposite may well be the case: It's Qualcomm buying into a large segment of the automotive MCU market.

I know of at least two issues they will face with an ARM takeover:
1. There's an enormous amount of legacy PowerPC code out there.
2. Currently only small (Cortex-M0/M3) cores are available in the 150C+ operating temperature ratings required for some automotive (engine bay or on engine) installations.

Of course these things can be overcome, but it will take time and effort.

		Patrick