BITS_PER_UNIT issue in port....

Hi,

I was not sure where to look but I thought I would try this.  I am in the middle of porting GCC 6.2 to an internal processor we are experimenting with.  I have about 2 months into it and I have made some decent progress.  The biggest issue I have right now is that our processor does not use 8 bit bytes but 16 bit bytes.  When I try and set BITS_PER_UNIT to 16, GCC will not compile because some of its internal structures become too big for the host platform.  Our processor only needs to support QI (16 bits) and HI (32 bits) modes; we don't really need anything SI or bigger.  I really don't want to hack on the GCC source code unless I am forced to, I would prefer to stay in the machine dependent realm.  Also, we are only using the "C" front end.  So I have the following questions:

1.  Is it possible to set BITS_PER_UNIT to 16 at all?  If so, How?
2.  Is there a minimum number of registers GCC has to have to work correctly?  What is that minimum?

Thanks,

Steve Silva (Broadcom Technologies)