Re: Repository for the conversion machinery

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> > My view is: contributors are free to specify what name and email address
> > they want used, but if they want something other than a single name and
> > email address for the whole commit history with a given username, it's the
> > contributor's responsibility to come up with lists of commits that use
> > each mapping rather than a hypothetical recipe based on examining
> > ChangeLogs.
>
> We'd only need to look at the actual ChangeLogs if the commit message
> doesn't include a name and email address. And if we just use the
> committer, how do we record the author of a change?

This is still hypothetical, since I haven't seen any scripts posted that
would actual implement this, or any resulting mappings of commits, and one
wouldn't normally expect a repository conversion to attempt to distinguish
committer from author when the source version control system has no such
distinction.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com