Re: Repository for the conversion machinery

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> joseph wrote:
>
> > Thanks, here are further authors map additions for new committers.
> > [...]
> > avieira = Andre Vieira <andre.simoesdiasvieira@arm.com>
> > [...]
>
> FWIW, I thought at one point the consensus was that the mailmap would
> expand only to $userid@gcc.gnu.org rather than $userid@$organization,
> esp. considering the case where there is no single $organization that
> accurately covers the whole contribution timespan of the given $userid.

I don't think there was any such consensus (older ids weren't from
gcc.gnu.org anyway so @gcc.gnu.org would be nonsense for that part of the
history).

My view is: contributors are free to specify what name and email address
they want used, but if they want something other than a single name and
email address for the whole commit history with a given username, it's the
contributor's responsibility to come up with lists of commits that use
each mapping rather than a hypothetical recipe based on examining
ChangeLogs.

[reposurgeon aside from observations with other conversions where
different author maps were needed for different revisions: the revision
range for commits from the gcc2 repository works in the GCC case because
that revision range came from CVS and so there are no tags with valid
commit authors in that range.  But if you have a repository with different
ranges of commits having different author maps *and* those ranges contain
SVN tags, simply specifying a range <SVN-commit>..<SVN-commit> doesn't
work as expected, since ranges are interpreted in reposurgeon's ordering
of events, not SVN's ordering, and the tag events are out of sequence with
the commit events.]

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com