Re: style convention: /*foo_p=*/ to annotate bool arguments

On 10/03/16 19:48, Martin Sebor wrote:
In a recent review Jason and I discussed the style convention
commonly followed in the C++ front end to annotate arguments
in calls to functions taking bool parameters with a comment
along the lines of

  foo (1, 2, /*bar_p=*/true);

I like this if there's more than one boolean arg. If there's only one, I'm ambivalent.

  // In some header:
  void foo (int, int, bool = -1);

  // In some .c file:
  void foo (int x, int y, bool bar_p /* = false */)

I think this is a good idea -- I've sometimes been puzzled by only looking at the defn, because it happened to be in the same file as the call site I was examining.

As has been mentioned, this does allow the decl and in-def comment to diverge. How about something like:

void foo (int, T = ...);

void foo (int x, T y /* = default */)
{
}