Re: Help with implementing Wine optimization experiment

On 08/15/2016 06:35 AM, André Hentschel wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for working on this, but I haven't seen some discussion on wine-devel recently.
I'm also not an expert on that area, but isn't this risking to break copy protections and hotpatching.
Just wanted to remind you about those two things, so the implementation will be usefull.

Thanks for your response! I've run into the hot-patching code a lot while working on this. Not breaking these should be easy since these functions are explicitly marked with the ms_hook_prologue attribute, so I can just skip altering these functions for now. This attribute is assigned in Wine via expansion of the macro DECLSPEC_HOTPATCH and I'm currently only counting 171 such functions.

I'm not sure about breaking copy protections however and I don't really know what the issues are pertaining to this. I'm mostly doing this as an experiment for now, and admittedly as an excuse to finally start hacking away at gcc, which I've been wanting to do for several years now. Until I know more about what the various copy protection mechanisms look for, I'm going to ignore it and address it later. Presuming that this experiment turns out to be useful, it might be implemented as a function attribute so that functions that need to appear a certain way to copy protection software can omit the optimization, similar to ms_hook_prologue.

Daniel