Re: Two suggestions for gcc C compiler to extend C language (by WD Smith)

On 7/29/16, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's imagine we have a 4-bit type, called nibble.
>
> sizeof(nibble) == 1, because you can't have an object with a smaller size.
>
> nibble a[2];
> sizeof(a) == 1;
>
> Because otherwise there isn't much benefit.

--bitsizeof() is required.

> So now we have a type which violates one of the core rules of the type
> system. sizeof(nibble[2 * N]) != 2 * sizeof(nibble[N])

--by the way, it is spelled "nybble."  Just like 8-bit objects
are not called a "bite." If you are reading "bite magazine" you are probably
in a different area.  And the reason that commonly-used words
like nybble and byte were coined, is these are common concepts, in common use.
Not an ultra-rare concept hardly ever used, like
some people have utterly ridiculously asserted.

> That means any generic code that works with arbitrary types doesn't
> work with this type.

--But C does not support generic code per se.

> This also breaks various idioms:
>
> nibble b[3];
> for(int i=0; i < sizeof(b)/sizeof(b[0]); ++i)
>
> This loop doesn't visit all the elements.

--if you want to use stupid idioms, you will have bugs.
If you wanted to be smart about it, you use some sort of bitsizeof() which
should have been what C provided in the first place.

> Given a pointer to an array of nibbles and a length, how do I iterate
> through the array?

for(i=0; i<bitsizeof(a); i++){ s += a[i]; }

> void do_something(nibble* p);
> int sum (nibble* p, size_t n) {
>     while (n)
>         do_something(p+n);
> }
>
> Pointer arithmetic won't work, because you can't address half a byte.
> What is the address of p[n-1] ? You can't know, without knowing if p
> points to the first or second nibble in a byte.

--pointers would either have to be forbidden for subbyte objects, or
would have to be implemented in a way involving, e.g., a shift if necessary.
For example, the 7th bit inside a byte -- well 3 extra bits of
address are needed to know which bit it is, so which byte is address>>3,
and which bit is address&7.

By the way, on some machines I think this already happens, not to
address bits and nybbles, but to address bytes.  Did anybody moan that
on such machines, "bytes are unaddressable"?  And therefore unusable
in C?  If and when anybody ever moaned that, then people like you told
them they were idiots, and you implemented the right tuff to do it
inside GCC.  Undoubtably therefore, the needed code for my suggestion
already is inside GCC, merely with a few numbers changed.

> C does not naturally work with objects smaller than a byte (which
> means the smallest addressable memory location, and is at least 8 bits
> but might be more). They can exist as bit fields inside other objects,
> but not in isolation.

--other languages like Pascal managed to address these "unaddressable" objects,
to use the bogus word one of my critics branded them with.

> To use such types it's is much cleaner to define an abstraction layer
> that does the packing, masking, extracting etc. for you. Either a set
> of functions that work with a pointer to some buffer, into which 4-bit
> values are stored, or a C++ class that gives the appearance of a
> packed array of 4-bit types but is implemented as a buffer of bytes.
> But I suggested that right at the start of the thread and you
> dismissed it (incorrectly saying it required C++, which is nonsense).
>
> // A double nibble
> struct nibnib {
>   signed char n1 : 4;
>   signed char n2 : 4;
> };
> inline signed char nib_get1(const nibnib* n) { return n->n1; }
> inline signed char nib_get2(const nibnib* n) { return n->n2; }
> inline void nib_set1(nibnib* n, signed char v) { n->n1 = v; }
> inline void nib_set2(nibnib* n, signed char v) { n->n2 = v; }
>
> Now this works naturally with the C object model. An array of "double
> nibbles" is addressable and its size follows the usual rules, and it's
> packed efficiently (optimally if CHAR_BIT == 8). There's no reason
> this would be any less efficient than if it was supported natively by
> the compiler, because it's going to have to do all the same operations
> whether they are done through an API like this or implicitly by the
> compiler. Using the API avoids having a weird type that doesn't obey
> the rules of the language.

--sigh.  It can certainly be done "manually" in ways like you here suggest.
Then you get ugly code that looks way different from the same code for bytes.
Then I have to write two programs not one program, basically, the two
appearing quite different, to do the same stuff for bytes and nybbles.
That makes it way more likely
I create a bug, and makes it unappetizing to read and check the code(s).

> Alternatively, make a proposal to add this to ISO C, then if it gets
> standardised GCC will support it. We don't just as non-standard
> extensions because of one pushy person sending incredibly long emails.

The way ISO C seems to happen, is some compilers implement the idea as
C extensions, then they see the light that it was a good idea and is
popular; then hence make it a standard with a few names changed.

The reason my emails are so incredibly long is, I keep on having
utterly obvious truths disputed by people who ought to know better,
and have to go back to basics to demonstrate their validity.
It would be simpler if the utterly obvious truths I state, were just accepted as
utterly obvious truths.  Then there would have been a short single email.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org  <-- add your endorsement (by clicking