This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC][Draft patch] Introduce IntegerSanitizer in GCC.
- From: Marc Glisse <marc dot glisse at inria dot fr>
- To: Maxim Ostapenko <m dot ostapenko at samsung dot com>
- Cc: "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Yuri Gribov <tetra2005 at gmail dot com>
- Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 13:42:27 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: Re: [RFC][Draft patch] Introduce IntegerSanitizer in GCC.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <577A44B5.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016, Maxim Ostapenko wrote:
Is community interested in such a tool?
On the one hand, it is clearly useful since you found bugs thanks to it.
On the other hand:
1) I hope we never reach the situation caused by Microsoft's infamous
warning C4146 (which is even an error if you enable "secure" mode),
where projects writing perfectly legal bignum code keep getting
misguided reports by users who see those warnings.
2) This kind of encourages people to keep using unsigned types for
non-negative integers, whereas they would be better reserved to bignum and
bitfields (sadly, the standards make it hard to avoid unsigned types...).