This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: .debug_frame not generated by ARC gas
- From: Vineet Gupta <Vineet dot Gupta1 at synopsys dot com>
- To: "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>, "dwarf-discuss at lists dot dwarfstd dot org" <dwarf-discuss at lists dot dwarfstd dot org>
- Cc: GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Claudiu Zissulescu <Claudiu dot Zissulescu at synopsys dot com>, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>, "gnu at amylaar dot uk" <gnu at amylaar dot uk>
- Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 09:06:02 +0000
- Subject: Re: .debug_frame not generated by ARC gas
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <C2D7FE5348E1B147BCA15975FBA230750106943C13 at us01wembx1 dot internal dot synopsys dot com>
On Thursday 16 June 2016 09:44 PM, Vineet Gupta wrote:
> ARC Linux has an in-kernel dwarf unwinder which has historically consumed
> .debug_frame. The kernel is built with -gdwarf-2 and -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
> toggles which until recently used to generate both .debug_frame and .eh_frame -
> latter being discarded by the kernel linker script.
> With a recent ARC gas change to support asm cfi psuedo-ops - dwarf info is now
> generated by gas and NOT gcc. But more importantly, we no longer get .debug_frame
> with above 2 toggles. If we drop -fasynchronous-unwind-tables then .debug_frame is
> So here are the questions:
> 1. Is it OK to drop -fasynchronous-unwind-tables toggle and still assume that
> "precise" unwind info will be generated (as mentioned in gnu documentation)
> 2. If not, how do we coax gas to generate .debug_frame even in presence of
Apologies for explicit CC. Any response would be much appreciated !