Re: Deprecating basic asm in a function - What now?

On 20/06/16 18:36, Michael Matz wrote:
> I see zero gain by deprecating them and only churn.  What would be the
> advantage again?

Correctness.  It is very likely that many of these basic asms are not
robust in the face of compiler changes because they don't declare
their dependencies and therefore work only by accident.

There are some correct basic asms.  For example,

  asm("nop")

There are some others too, once we've made the change to have basic
asms clobber memory.  These include syscalls which are implemented
by using named register variables.

Andrew.