Re: Deprecating basic asm in a function - What now?

Hi,

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016, David Wohlferd wrote:

> All basic asm in trunk: 1,105 instances.
> - Exclude 273 instances with empty strings leaving 832.
> - Exclude 271 instances for boehm-gc project leaving 561.
> - Exclude 202 instances for testsuite project leaving 359.
> - Exclude 282 instances that are (apparently) top-level leaving
>
> ~77 instances of basic-asm-in-a-function to be fixed for gcc builds.
> Most of these are in gcc/config or libgcc/config with just a handful per
> platform. Lists available upon request.

Well, I think this quite clearly shows how bad an idea it would be to
deprecate basic asm.  We are just one project, and ourself and our
dependencies already have 77+271 uses of them, not counting the testsuite
which also reflects some real world usage.

I see zero gain by deprecating them and only churn.  What would be the
advantage again?

Ciao,
Michael.