Re: SafeStack proposal in GCC

On 5/9/2016 2:45 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Joel Sherrill
<joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com> wrote:

On 5/9/2016 2:25 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 10:42 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@libc.org> wrote:

The *context APIs are deprecated and I'm not sure they're worth
supporting with this. It would be a good excuse to get people to stop
using them.

The gccgo library uses them, because there is no working alternative.

FWIW when this transition occurred, that's when the RTEMS port broke.
We don't have these methods.

Yes, that was unfortunate, but it was a significant increase in efficiency.

It would be an interesting exercise to see if they could be
implemented in terms of our internal thread context management
APIs but no one has ever looked into it deeply.

They are short functions, and easy to implement.  They don't need to
use any thread context management, they just manipulate registers.
The catch is that, because they manipulate registers, they are
inherently machine-specific.

I suppose we could reuse implementations from *BSD for a subset
of targets. Those would likely be the targets folks care about
anyway.

Hmm... would those make sense to add to newlib? I am thinking
they are similar to setjmp/longjmp and shouldn't need supervisor
mode access.
Ian