This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: SafeStack proposal in GCC
- From: Michael Matz <matz at suse dot de>
- To: Rich Felker <dalias at libc dot org>
- Cc: "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 21:02:33 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: Re: SafeStack proposal in GCC
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAFA9rWPkb=eV0GhvFeOnd4pRVh=N3fSifYBwZjy9Ndh68BmBww at mail dot gmail dot com> <0d50f0ef01b24c25a79a6f18eaddfd6d at REXA dot intranet dot epfl dot ch> <CANL6WeqEwFYx2H-sv81K8CDFypiJ+ray+xPyRH+7kitTpD8bqw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160507054212 dot GE21636 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx>
On Sat, 7 May 2016, Rich Felker wrote:
> > > * sigaltstack and swapcontext are broken too.
> > We have prototype that supports swapcontext that we're happy to
> > release, but it clearly requires more work before being ready to merge
> > upstream.
> The *context APIs are deprecated and I'm not sure they're worth
> supporting with this. It would be a good excuse to get people to stop
> using them.
How? POSIX decided to remove the facilities without any adequate
replacement (thread aren't).