This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: SafeStack proposal in GCC
- From: Florian Weimer <fw at deneb dot enyo dot de>
- To: Rich Felker <dalias at libc dot org>
- Cc: Volodymyr Kuznetsov <vova dot kuznetsov at epfl dot ch>, "gcc\ at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 17:48:26 +0200
- Subject: Re: SafeStack proposal in GCC
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAFA9rWPkb=eV0GhvFeOnd4pRVh=N3fSifYBwZjy9Ndh68BmBww at mail dot gmail dot com> <0d50f0ef01b24c25a79a6f18eaddfd6d at REXA dot intranet dot epfl dot ch> <CANL6WeqEwFYx2H-sv81K8CDFypiJ+ray+xPyRH+7kitTpD8bqw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160507054212 dot GE21636 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx>
* Rich Felker:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 06:09:54PM +0200, Volodymyr Kuznetsov wrote:
>> We have prototype that supports swapcontext that we're happy to
>> release, but it clearly requires more work before being ready to merge
> The *context APIs are deprecated and I'm not sure they're worth
> supporting with this. It would be a good excuse to get people to stop
> using them.
QEMU is a high-value target which would benefit from stack hardening,
and it is a heavy user of these interfaces.