Re: GCC 6.0.1 Status Report (2016-04-15)

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/15/2016 09:10 AM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>>
>> Status
>> ======
>>
>> We have reached zero P1 regressions today (and < 100 important
>> regressions) and the branches/gcc-6-branch has been created;
>> and GCC 6.1-rc1 will be built and announced soon.
>> The branch is now frozen for blocking regressions and documentation
>> fixes only, all changes to the branch require a RM approval now.
>>
>> If no show stoppers appear, I'd like to release 6.1 late next week,
>> or soon after that, if any important issues are discovered and
>> fixed, rc2 could be released next week.
>
> The only issue I'm aware of that I think must be fixed for gcc-6 is the
> protected symbol visibility problem.  I've got a good summary from Alan and
> Cary and just need to file the report.  I'll get that done today. In theory,
> fixing is "just" a matter of reverting a change from about this time last
> year and any follow-ups.

Before you do that, please take a look at

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/generic-abi/waK1dGiUGvM/7Uid2HH4IQAJ

I have a proposal to mark object file with

NT_GNU_PROPERTY_NO_COPY_ON_PROTECTED

https://github.com/hjl-tools/linux-abi/wiki/Linux-Extensions-to-gABI

It requires changes in compiler, ld and ld.so.

--
H.J.