This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Leaking bitmap data in ree.c?
- From: Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- To: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- Cc: David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat dot com>, Trevor Saunders <tbsaunde at tbsaunde dot org>, "gcc at gnu dot org" <gcc at gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 10:28:54 +0100
- Subject: Re: Leaking bitmap data in ree.c?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56EC5478 dot 5080500 at redhat dot com> <20160321032339 dot GA24419 at ball> <56F0246A dot 5000002 at redhat dot com> <20160321171530 dot GA27540 at ball> <56F02BA3 dot 3090600 at redhat dot com> <1458580608 dot 9902 dot 56 dot camel at redhat dot com> <56F02D2F dot 2030906 at redhat dot com>
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Jeff Law <email@example.com> wrote:
> On 03/21/2016 11:16 AM, David Malcolm wrote:
>> On Mon, 2016-03-21 at 11:13 -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
>>> On 03/21/2016 11:15 AM, Trevor Saunders wrote:
>>>>> I'll resist the urge for now to apply RAII principles in this
>>>>> code, but
>>>>> that'd probably a much cleaner way to think about the problem in
>>>> I worked on a couple attempts to c++ify bitmaps a while back, but
>>>> finished any of them, but I could probably publish what I did in
>>>> someone wants to pick that up for gcc 7.
>>> Can't hurt.
>>> FWIW, bitmaps are low level and independent of trees, rtl, etc that
>>> ought to (in theory) be able to class-ify them and build a real unit
>>> testing framework for them.
>> Something like:
> Like that, or complete instantiation outside GCC.
I don't like more C++-ification just for the sake of it. Like the alloc-pool
C++ification caused more issues than it fixed.
I'd happily approve sth like an auto_bitmap class though (bah, we can't
have auto <X> as auto is already taken!).
Notice that using bitmap_initialize is a micro-optimization to avoid one
indirection. I doubt it matters for REE.
Also keep in mind bitmap statistics - leaving bitmaps to GC only like
REE seems to do will mess them up. Bitmaps that have used
bitmap_initialize and allocating from GC need to call bitmap_clear
on them. In fact REE should simply use &bitmap_default_obstack,
I think that it uses GC is an oversight...