Re: Is test case with 700k lines of code a valid test case?

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 02:02:48PM +0000, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 18 March 2016 at 12:45, Paulo Matos wrote:
> >> I have a source file with 700k lines of code 99% of which are printf() statements. Compiling this test case crashes GCC 5.3.0 with segmentation fault.
> >> Can such test case be considered valid or source files of size 35 MB are too much for a C compiler and it should crash? It crashes on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit with 16GB of RAM.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Andrey
> >>

> > I would think it's useful but a reduced version would be great.
> > Can you reduce the test? If you need a hand, I can help. Contact me
> > directly and I will give it a try.
>
> It's probably crashing because it's too large, so if you reduce it
> then it won't crash.

But if most of the lines are pretty much the same or similar, it might be
worth trying to recreate it with preprocessor macros.  Just pick up a couple
of most common lines and duplicate them as many times as needed to try to
get the testcase into similar size.

	Jakub