This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [gimplefe] [gsoc16] Gimple Front End Project
- From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at adacore dot com>
- To: Manuel López-Ibáñez <lopezibanez at gmail dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, Trevor Saunders <tbsaunde at tbsaunde dot org>, Diego Novillo <dnovillo at google dot com>, David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat dot com>, Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>, Prasad Ghangal <prasad dot ghangal at gmail dot com>, sandeep at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 21:26:33 +0100
- Subject: Re: [gimplefe] [gsoc16] Gimple Front End Project
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAE+uiWbJ7+mY_2xYNQBTT1emXf5J+E79nK+c2cE2u1Deh8Zf=w at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160309025043 dot GD5343 at ball> <CAESRpQCwWDcTembu1ZRv25zAmi1ZdN4nFZpJWTiO4a4-Xc8AVA at mail dot gmail dot com>
> If the gimple IR were a strict subset of GNU C, then by all means
> let's re-use the C FE. However, gimple encodes things that are
> necessary for other languages but are not C. C++ gimple dumps have
> try-finally. Fortran dumps use explicit parentheses "((x))". Surely,
> Ada adds its own quirks to gimple.
No, it doesn't, only to GENERIC, i.e. everything is lowered in GIMPLE and as
far as I know there are no Ada-specific constructs in GIMPLE, so you can take
Ada completely out of the picture here.