Re: [gimplefe] [gsoc16] Gimple Front End Project

On 03/08/2016 06:56 PM, Richard Biener wrote:
>> The dumps contain a lot of (sometimes optional) unstructured
>> information. For
>> example, they show both the result of the pass and (arbitrarily
>> unstructured)
>> messages about what the pass is doing.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to get the dumps in a more structured form (e.g.,
>>
>> separating IR from debug messages) before doing this?
>
> I'd say a dump modifier -il to make it dump IL only (maybe into a different file) plus required global info such as types would be enough.
Why not just support comments in GIMPLE FE and output all unstructured pass
information inside them? In fact, some stuff is already wrapped into ";;"-style
comments, like this:

;; Function fn1 (null)
;; enabled by -tree-original

You could just change it to use C++-style comments (//), which C-family
frontends already understand.

> Also note my suggestion that all GIMPLE sources should be valid C as well it would be unfortunate to lose the option to torture unit tests.

I wonder how will this work with SSA form?

--
Regards,
    Mikhail Maltsev