This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [WWWDocs] Deprecate support for non-thumb ARM devices
- From: Joel Sherrill <joel dot sherrill at oarcorp dot com>
- To: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer dot com>,Richard Earnshaw <Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com>
- Cc: gcc-patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>,"gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>,Ramana Radhakrishnan <Ramana dot Radhakrishnan at arm dot com>,Kyrylo Tkachov <Kyrylo dot Tkachov at arm dot com>,Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 15:34:05 -0600
- Subject: Re: [WWWDocs] Deprecate support for non-thumb ARM devices
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56CDB728 dot 1050300 at arm dot com> <alpine dot LSU dot 2 dot 20 dot 1602282213130 dot 6772 at anthias>
On February 28, 2016 3:20:24 PM CST, Gerald Pfeifer <email@example.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
>> I propose to commit this patch later this week.
>+ Support for revisions of the ARM architecture prior to ARMv4t
>+ been deprecated and will be removed in a future GCC release.
>+ This affects ARM6, ARM7 (but not ARM7TDMI), ARM8, StrongARM,
>+ Faraday fa526 and fa626 devices, which do not have support for
>+ the Thumb execution state.
>I am wondering whether this may be confusing for those not
>intricately familiar with the older history of ARM platforms.
>ARMv8 is pretty new, googling for it has
>as first hit, for example, and the only difference versus ARM8
>is that little lower-case "v".
I assume this means a number of values for the various -mXXX arguments will be removed. Would it be more helpful to list those values?
I have to agree with Gerald. I think this will obsolete a few older RTEMS BSPs but based on that wording, I don't know which.